Does everything need to go directly on the grill grates?

Kaytay2

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
New at this, just would like to know if using the throw away tin's would be ok instead of putting it on the grill grates? Will it still get a good cook?

When you say grill grates, are you talking about the grates /racks that come with the grill or the GrillGrates customer made for specific grill that are used for searing.

They way you cook various dishes depends upon what you are cooking. If you want maximum smoke flavor, you want to place the protein directly on the grill rack.

Sometimes you do not want maximum smoke flavor. For example, when cooking salmon, I use a cedar plank underneath the fish. Smoke only penetrates from the top.

I plan to cook my Thanksgiving turkey on the Trager placing the turkey in a large pan to catch the drippings, but using a rack inside the pan to raise the bird off the bottom of the pan so everything gets smoked.

There is no right way or wrong way to cook. Do whatever works best for you.

I'm talking about the grate's that come with directly over the tray I have the newer one and no drip pans can be use due to the air vent, so I could probably use a pan underneath to catch some os the dripping which make a complete mess on the bottom.

I'm going to try it like this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 49
Looks good. You have circulation all the way around the bird.
You could even add some aromatics or citrus to the pan in a bit of water to help flavor the bird as it cooks

When you say grill grates, are you talking about the grates /racks that come with the grill or the GrillGrates customer made for specific grill that are used for searing.

They way you cook various dishes depends upon what you are cooking. If you want maximum smoke flavor, you want to place the protein directly on the grill rack.

Sometimes you do not want maximum smoke flavor. For example, when cooking salmon, I use a cedar plank underneath the fish. Smoke only penetrates from the top.

I plan to cook my Thanksgiving turkey on the Trager placing the turkey in a large pan to catch the drippings, but using a rack inside the pan to raise the bird off the bottom of the pan so everything gets smoked.

There is no right way or wrong way to cook. Do whatever works best for you.

Attachments

• 2A8D4ADB-E307-4817-A7FC-0CB2DA53C02F.jpeg
    2A8D4ADB-E307-4817-A7FC-0CB2DA53C02F.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 36
Looks good. You have circulation all the way around the bird.
You could even add some aromatics or citrus to the pan in a bit of water to help flavor the bird as it cooks
I agree but the bird was very jucy and I did inject it with melted butter, maple syrup, and bourbon... Was delicious💯

Yes you can use tins. In fact I use 3 different sizes depending on what im cooking and for how many people.

I just put a pork butt in a tin yesterday fat side down and my kids thought it was one of my better pork butts. Injected and never flipped. I knew the wife was going to have to remove it so I wanted a no hassle removal method for her. She still spilled juices.

When doing a full pork butt (around 8 pounds), I normally cook it directly on the grill rack until it hits the stall around 160-170F. Since the butt normally renders a lot of juices during the rendering phase, rather than just wrapping it in foil, I place it in an aluminum roasting pan and then cover the pan tightly in foil to prevent the juices from evaporating and shortening the cook time.

After removing the pan from the grill somewhere around 205F +/- depending upon your preference, allow everything to rest and cool down for an hour or so before you attempt to unwrap it. Otherwise, you are likely to get burned.

New at this, just would like to know if using the throw away tin's would be ok instead of putting it on the grill grates? Will it still get a good cook?
Some recipes do not require the food to be placed directly on the grate by necessity. For example, meatloaf, Queso, chili, etc. Most meats such as pulled pork & briskets you want to put directly on the grate during the first part of the cooking process in order to get a good smoke ring on the meat. Be sure you have foil or Traeger drip pan liner under the grate to make the clean-up process easier.

I’m new to pellet grill’s, I just got my 780 a few weeks back ( was gifted to me) and I’m trying to see how I can fit it in along with my Webber gas grill and blackstone griddle. I’ve had a XL green egg for over thirty years. I always raise meats I want a good smoke flavor so smoke can get completely around the meat. I raise above pan level because the smoke isn’t going down inside the pan. Like Ray said, different things vary as well as what you find that works for you. I have found that Sous vide has completely changed my way of cooking. Butts on the egg are hard to beat but they require a lot of babysitting. Now I can sous vide a butt for 24 hours, cool it down put in refrigerator and then smoke it at my convenience for a few hours depending on size until it reaches my sous vide temp of 165. Cold meat takes on good smoke, builds a nice bark, as moist but more tender than any other form of cooking. However this works great for me and I’m not trying to argue a point. It amazes me how fast technology is changing the way we think. This forum contains a wealth of information, it’s the reason I joined it.

Back