Do you fill your pot?

I see the logic, but have never purged an auger in 8+ years of using Traegers. Maybe others have issues in high humidity areas?

I have a lot of wet weather and humidity. I started out believing in even emptying the hopper cuz of it... not any more.
As far as the AUGER goes, not had a need to not once... the "heat up" cycle uses all the auger pellets so fresh hopper pellets are thru the auger and into your pot before you even add your MEAT, so I agree even tho there is 'logic' behind what's said, I personally see no reason to worry unless your rig gives you trouble.

I do not bother to purge the Auger, as it only has about 5-7 min of Pellets in it and by the time that the grill is up to temp you are getting pellets from the hopper

I never remove The pellets form the auger when cleaning, when it comes to the fire pot I’ve cleaned it and added pellets afterwards. I’ve also forgotten to throw a few pellets back in it and it started up just fine

Might have been related to cold weather (below 32F/0C) but I more often than not, had issues with failed pellet ignition/slow ignition warning followed by smoke so white and thick you'd have swore the back deck was ablaze if I had vacuumed out the firepot and did not prime with a few pellets after cleaning it out. Takes about 1.5 secs to grab a few pellets from the hopper and prime the pot. So to be safe I always prime the fire pot after a clean out.

100% utter noob here, and I bought a used 1300 Gen 1 (AC), and I thought prime auger meant fill the fire pot.
Why would I think that? It's not prime fire pot, it's prime auger in fact.
Anyway, first two tests of the 1300, with firepots filled to the brim, the grill was blooming so much smoke and the temps went way higher than the set goal temp. Finally it occurred to me that I should not fill the fire pot, but merely prime the auger with pellets.
PRoblem is the Gen 1 1300 does not have a prime auger timer.

ANyway, problem solved. Now the well worn 1300 reaches it's goal steadily and keeps it within a 5 deg F range, and 4 additional ink bird sensors agree with the RTD to within 10-15degF. Not bad, I'll take it.

Back