Do Not Buy a Traeger

SmokingHighet

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood XL
Having my XL Ironwood for 5 weeks and all I have had are issues. Broke down on smoking day for a family get together. Cannot return a lemon have to sit here and they are not making it right. The grill is made in China. There are many other options out there buying a name brand in this case is horrible. I lost $1,900 in this deal. My favorite is the support person telling me it is normal for the temp to fluctuate 30+/- degrees but I had to remind them 4 times that a temp set at 225 and it sky rocketing to 600 is more than 30. Now I get parts sent to me and I am out on using it. I lost on this investment - RecTeq is a viable replacement folks.

Where did you buy it from? Why can't you return it?

Great question. One that I cannot get answered. The local hardware store took it off the floor and had it delivered to me. I thought great service but they say they cannot take it back and Traeger says they need it disassembled. So in those lights me the consumer got screwed. RecTeq is more than half the price and made in the US. That says the price point of the product is way to high. I also question the quality now. There are better solutions out there that do not cost this price point.

Don't you just love it when someone has a bad experience and immediately seeks out a forum consisting of mainly Traeger owners warning us to not buy one? What a joke!

Sounds like the local hardware store is the problem and that Traeger is trying to make it right. Unless it was a "final sale" or you waited too long, I don't see why they won't take it back as a return or at least as an exchange. What is their return/exchange policy?

What hardware store did you purchase from? If it was an Ace Hardware, they are a Traeger preferred retailer and they also repair Traeger products. Perhaps the grill was not assembled properly.

Don't you just love it when someone has a bad experience and immediately seeks out a forum consisting of mainly Traeger owners warning us to not buy one? What a joke!
Yes just trying to help out.
First to note is, this is NOT a Traeger official CS forum, we are Traeger USERS, meaning we mostly already BOUGHT our grills and share good cooking and tips.

Point is, this place is FULL of perfectly normal good functioning Traeger users and grills.
Some of us that DO encounter problems, try to seek real answers as it might be a MINOR issue, or even something you didn't do correctly to begin with.
You might have very simply gotten a bad RTD or controller. Traeger CS should own up to that, but that might take a little patience on your part to get it rectified. And WHERE you bought it from?... well, if they don't stand behind it then you need to gripe to them ASAP.

I think I've said this a thousand times on this forum already: If your new car broke down within the first YEAR even, what would you do? Gripe that it was assembled in Mexico, or take it BACK to the dealer and demand it be fixed!!!!

Yes just trying to help out.
As a Gen 2 Ironwood user it would be really helpful to know what all the issues are, when you say it broke down did it just die suddenly for example? Obviously the massive temperature fluctuations are unacceptable but in what scenario did this happen?

This information may be of use to other Gen2 Ironwood users and who knows it may help others help you? Of particular concern is the lack of help from the unnamed hardware store (name and shame?) and whether or not they are a Traeger recognised dealer?

I had an issue with my 575Pro in that it blew over in the wind and suffered some damage at a few months old, the Traeger dealer I bought it off took control of the issue and liaised with Traeger as to the best way forward notwithstanding neither were liable for anything but conversely that is what I would hope for from a reputable dealer!

AND keeps mentioning a specific OTHER brand. I mean if it's all true it does put blame on both and it's a major bummer. Any brand is going to have a bad example. Plus when you spend nearly 2k and don't know you can't return it should there be an issue?
I work on Traegers (knew them in Oregon) and must admit they were much better before they sold out. But nearly all that I've worked on, including a Timberline 1300 recently, the issue ends up the user. I've had 3 that would "shoot up to 600 degrees" and then shut down that turned out to be they didn't clean them and a grease fire was happening. Something they all failed to tell me when explaing the problem. Maybe that's what this one has, maybe not, just saying, the story sounds very similar to many I've heard.
I've only paid for 1 Treager out of 7. The rest were "I lost on this investment" that I either cleaned or put a new $30 part in and all are working to this day. I gave most of them to peple that wanted a Traeger. Kept 2 for myself :)

Don't you just love it when someone has a bad experience and immediately seeks out a forum consisting of mainly Traeger owners ....
The OP is asking for help or any sane advice. Terrible feeling to be in "The Twilight Zone".
Never heard of ReQTec. However I do really like the Pit Boss pellet smokers. I have one as well as a Timberline XL.
And Father's Day sales abound so much more fun to go shopping than mow the lawn....
Sorry about your frustration. Might be best to contract the Traeger distributor in your area?

The OP is asking for help or any sane advice. Terrible feeling to be in "The Twilight Zone".
Never heard of ReQTec. However I do really like the Pit Boss pellet smokers. I have one as well as a Timberline XL.
And Father's Day sales abound so much more fun to go shopping than mow the lawn....
Sorry about your frustration. Might be best to contract the Traeger distributor in your area?
Not once does he ask for HELP from this forum.

"...Traeger CS should own up to that, but that might take a little patience on your part to get it rectified..."

A LOT of patience!

Not once does he ask for HELP from this forum.
No. I see the post as a request for help. Though not, overtly. Your mileage may vary. Meanwhile I am loving my Pit Boss smoker. I did get some extras from that smokes like a boss website.

Back