Customer Service Nightmare

McClumsy

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
I have had a "fun" time dealing with Traegers customer service lateley. Ill do my best to keep it short and sweet.

I purchased a brand new Timberline 1300 back in September 2020 as a birthday present to myself. For the most part, I absoluteley love the thing. I have had a few issues though that I needed taken care of.

1.) The D2 module is supposed to go up 5 degrees a click on the knob, but mine would jump randomly per click. Sometimes 5 degrees, sometimes 45, sometimes 20 and so on.

2.) The front of the grill lid, where the sides meet the main curved piece, theres a 6" section where it was not sealed and it leaks a ton of smoke during a cook.

So, I call cusotmer service back in October, and after discussing the issues I was having, they decided it was the knob itself on the controller that was bad (I know it was a hardware issue, not the beauty knob but I went along with it) and it was causing temp jumps, and they initiated a new lid to be sent out to me. I thought it was so easy and convienent, and couldnt be happier with their service. So I thought.

I got an ETA of late November for the lid, and mid October for the knob.

12/7/20 - I get a knob, but it was black plastic for a Pro Series, not the silver for the timberline. I call and Inquire, they order "the correct knob" and I got an upodated ETA of 12/27 for my lid.

12/18/20 - I get another knob. The same black plastic one. I call again, and they send another.

12/30/20 - I finally get a silver knob, and a new ETA of early January for a lid. SUPRISE, the knob doesnt do a thing. So I call AGAIN, and thankfully I got a more competent person on the line, and she said the controller was bad. She initiated a new controller.

1/5/2021 - I get my first Lid. It was so damaged, that UPS woudlnt deliver it. They took it to their warehouse, and re boxed it to try and Hide it. This one is on UPS, BUT The packaging on Traegers end was TERRIBLE. a 30lb lid, in a plastic bag, in a thin cardboard box, travelling 2000 miles across the country. I call, and explain that it was damaged, they video streamed through my phone and got photos, then initiated another lid. I expressed it needed to be packaged better, and they said they would put a note in for their shipping department.

1/15/2021 - Lid #2 arrives, Same packaging, worse damage than the first. I call again, video stream again, explain the situation again, and explain how they need better packaging. I was told it was handled.

1/17/2021 - Recieved a new controller, fixed the temp sqing issue! (THANKFULLY)

1/21/2021 - Recieved my THIRD lid. and guess what..... SAME BOX, PACKAGING, & DAMAGE. I call again, waste another 30 minutes, explain the problem and gave my solution AGAIN. New lid ordered.

2/5/2021 - 4th Lid out for delivery annnndddddd....... RETURNED TO SENDER DUE TO DAMAGE. At this point I was furious. So I called again, asked for a supervisor. This time they assured me they would personally make sure the lid was "overpackaged" and that "the 5th time will be the charm."

2/9/2021 - Package delivered notification.... AND....... same packaging, same damage, same problem. Im just lost at this point. I called again, got the same story, I just expressed more frustration than anything. I asked for photos of the package before shipping and they politely told me no.

I can see how UPS could be at fault here, but if Trager now knows, why wont they change their packaging.

So now is a waiting game. Maybe see if the 6th time is the charm, while a pile of traeger lids is forming in my garage. Im sure this isn't cheap for them. Not sure why they wont step up to the plate here. Its rather irritating. Im considering taking to social media, or writing a letter to a higher up or something. I've tracked these calls from the beginning. 14 total calls now, total call time is nearing 6 hours. Its time ill never get back, all for workmanship defects that should be covered by warranty. I should at least be sent some pellets or something.

The damage is the same on all of them. The lid is 30 pounds of steel. it shifts and busts through the box, then UPS drags it through their trucks, scuffing the edges to bare metal. Then, the bundle of the hinges and hardware is loose in the box, so it scrapes, scuffs, and dents the lid and insulation panel in transit. Ive tried many times to explain this to these supervisors and managers, and I got one sincere reply after a 20 minute hold, that she confirmed they were going to over pack. The other customer service reps I feel is just a assuring head nod of "yeah we got it handled" to get me off the phone.

Anyone have any ideas? Advice? Is there anyone from Treager on here? Im at the point of giving up. I love the gril but Id never recommend one with how their customer service operates.

Attachments

• IMG-6753.jpg
    IMG-6753.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG-7011.jpg
    IMG-7011.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-6759.jpg
    IMG-6759.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-7528.jpg
    IMG-7528.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 63380394474--7D60C294-83AE-4829-B10A-64B2B7049E19.jpg
    63380394474--7D60C294-83AE-4829-B10A-64B2B7049E19.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-7520.jpg
    IMG-7520.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-7525.jpg
    IMG-7525.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-7533.jpg
    IMG-7533.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 34
I can only feel for your frustration and let's hope that a person from Traeger sees this. From the day I bought my 575 I have never had a problem, never had to call Traeger so I hope that your problem is resolved soon.

Holy cow! That is a horror story for sure!

I would not have let them send me a knob, clearly a hardware problem with the encoder in the controller (I had one replaced for this as well).

Regarding the lids, they do come apart as you have found. I would perhaps assemble one good one from all of the bones if possible. Maybe throw some insulation in it while you are there.

From all I've seen around here, Traeger is bleeding money due to poor support decisions and apparently no functional process improvement in their supply chain.

These Timberlines are SO heavy, that transporting them is the highest risk part of their life and packing is critical.

I don't know where to go but perhaps to send this to their president.

Have you seen how they ship the Yoder? nothing could bust that.

Holy cow! That is a horror story for sure!

I would not have let them send me a knob, clearly a hardware problem with the encoder in the controller (I had one replaced for this as well).

Regarding the lids, they do come apart as you have found. I would perhaps assemble one good one from all of the bones if possible. Maybe throw some insulation in it while you are there.

From all I've seen around here, Traeger is bleeding money due to poor support decisions and apparently no functional process improvement in their supply chain.

These Timberlines are SO heavy, that transporting them is the highest risk part of their life and packing is critical.

I don't know where to go but perhaps to send this to their president.
None of the outer shells I have are usable as of now. All are scuffed pretty bad and have dents. I do have 2 good insulation panels though. They told me to toss all off the bad ones, so I am going to keep the gaskets and unsulation panels for parts.

Also, I just messaged Jeremy Andrus on Linkedin... Would be cool if I recieved a response.

Have you seen how they ship the Yoder? nothing could bust that.
I have not. The packaging for this 1300 was amazing. The box turned into a playhouse, it had beer holders and everything. For some reason they cant figure parts shipping out.

I had to call support when I first got my Pro 575, couldn't connect it to my Wifi. They tried a couple of things but eventually ordered me a new controller after figuring out the problem. Took forever to get the controller but it was easy to install and fixed me right up.

Your situation with the lid is horrendous, I wonder if they can work through a local dealer. (if there is one)

I had to call support when I first got my Pro 575, couldn't connect it to my Wifi. They tried a couple of things but eventually ordered me a new controller after figuring out the problem. Took forever to get the controller but it was easy to install and fixed me right up.

Your situation with the lid is horrendous, I wonder if they can work through a local dealer. (if there is one)
I asked one of the supervisors, their answer was basically that it works the same way. One would get ordered and shipped identically to the dealer, then given to me. I asked if they could pull a lid off a new unit for me and they said no. Flat out crazy if you ask me.

Update!

A 6th lid is now on the way, but the package weight is 10 pounds lighter than the others which has me concerned. We shall see.

On another note, The CEO actually responded to my message. Im curious if I will actually get a phonecall or not.

Attachments

• IMG_7588 (1).jpg
    IMG_7588 (1).jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 38
Update!

A 6th lid is now on the way, but the package weight is 10 pounds lighter than the others which has me concerned. We shall see.

On another note, The CEO actually responded to my message. Im curious if I will actually get a phonecall or not.
If/When they call ask them to send hats and aprons to us all! :)

Back