Cover or no cover?

traeger860

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Ironwood 650, Weber Genesis, Anova Precision Cooker.
Currently have the $80 Traeger cover. It had a few grease stains on it and pulled it off to clean it. When I flipped it inside out, I found that the inside was covered in dirt and mildew. It was dirtier than the outside. Guessing because it gets wet and takes longer to dry because of the material it's made from? So if the inside or the cover is getting wet, is it really protecting my grill? Or is it just trapping more moisture underneath and exposing my grill to it while it takes forever to dry?

When I lived in Connecticut, my Traeger was outside and was exposed to rain, snow, wind, dirt, pollen, leaves, critters, etc. The cover did help keep it clean and protected from debris, but it didn't really help keep it dry. Since I moved to Florida, the Traeger is inside my screened patio. It has a roof, but it does get a little wet in there sometimes during heavier rain storms. It's clean and critter-free for the most part. I'm thinking that most of the mildew was there from before I moved.

Anyone leave their Traeger uncovered in a screened patio? I'm leaning towards either leaving mine uncovered or buying a cheap vinyl cover that will stay dry. I like the look and thick quality of the Traeger cover, but not worth dropping another $80 for the same thing to happen again. Power washing, vinegar, scrubbing didn't really help get it off.

I think if my grill was in a covered area I wouldn't fret about another grill cover. I have the Traeger cover because my grill sits outside and we get lots of foul weather, blowing dust, etc. in Colorado.

I think if my grill was in a covered area I wouldn't fret about another grill cover. I have the Traeger cover because my grill sits outside and we get lots of foul weather, blowing dust, etc. in Colorado.
Thanks. The roof keeps most of the water and weather out. But if it's windy, some rain does make it through the screens on the sides. But if that cover was getting wet and holding moisture in, it seems worse than the grill getting wet and just drying.

Speaking about covers, does anyone know where I might purchase a short length cover for my 0075 Texas Pro. Mine measures about 45 inches from stack to controller. All I seem to find are the full length that go all the way to the wheels. Traeger has discontinued my unit and doesn't offer a replacement cover that is the same as the original.
I don't care for the long ones due to living things trying to use it for a place to shelter when not in use. I saw on a past post that there was a person that made covers to your specifications, but have been unable to find it. Any help on this would be appreciated. I have searched Amazon and other grill sites, but the only short one I found is for the shorter length Traeger Lil Tex.
Thanks in advance for your help.

The 075 is the same size as the Pro 34? If so, this one looks like it’ll fit: https://a.co/d/cHDBNRf

The description says Lil Tex and Lil Tex Elite, but the cover looks too wide for them. Those are the size of a Pro 22. If you click on the store link in the listing, they do have a smaller one sold separately that looks like it’s fit the smaller models.

I think another reason to use the cover is to keep the sun off of it. It can age things quickly.

Thanks traeger860. You are correct, the length of the pro34 is the same as my 075. I posted a question on the Amazon site and the response I received was that it was to short in length. I don't want to spend the bucks on a long cover and have someone shorten it, so I guess I am stuck with making some patches out of wide black tape. No one really sees it since it is off and folded when I am smoking. Thanks again.

Friend of mine has a Pitts and Spits that sits under and awning and out of direct weather but is uncovered year around and has never had a problem. I always assumed the pellets would suck up a bunch of moisture (gets fairly humid in Indiana) but he has never had an issue.
Another friend of mine sells and repairs lawn tractors, tillers, etc. He swears that the ones that get covered and stay outside for a length of time have more issues from moisture than those not covered because the still get wet but don't dry out. In the summer, with humidity and no rain a tractor under a cover will be damp from the humidity. The ones uncovered stay bone dry...

Friend of mine has a Pitts and Spits that sits under and awning and out of direct weather but is uncovered year around and has never had a problem. I always assumed the pellets would suck up a bunch of moisture (gets fairly humid in Indiana) but he has never had an issue.
Another friend of mine sells and repairs lawn tractors, tillers, etc. He swears that the ones that get covered and stay outside for a length of time have more issues from moisture than those not covered because the still get wet but don't dry out. In the summer, with humidity and no rain a tractor under a cover will be damp from the humidity. The ones uncovered stay bone dry...
Agree with that if the cover is wrapped around with no openings. you definitely have to keep the bottom open to let air in.

That’s how I was looking at it too. Rather my grill get a little wet and then dry in the open air vs. sitting under a wet cover and getting exposed to mildew and whatever else. If we have a storm coming in with winds that would cause the rain to blow into my covered patio, I can always just throw a tarp over it or move it into the garage.

Back