Corned Beef and Pastrami

Sun May 22 Pastrami https://share.fireboard.io/9FF839
20220522_122512.jpg20220522_203928.jpg20220523_070627.jpg

What temp do you pull off at???
There are some that say 165, and others say 205. You can also cook/smoke to 150 and then steam it to 200 as well.
I plan on cooking this fully on the smoker. I am looking for a deep dark bark color and will probably look to take it off at 200. I haven't wrapped yet. I have been wrapping my briskets around 170-180 and I am guessing the same for the right color bark this time.

Two downsides to the Yoder vs Traeger.
Tunneling with the pellet hopper in the Yoder as I suspected. This morning I could almost see the auger while the hopper sides still had lots of pellets. I had Tunneling with the Traeger, but hadn't seen it to this extent.
Pellet consumption, the size and mass of the metal is using a lot more pellets to do a brisket than the Traeger. I do not think I ever had to refill the hopper on the Traeger for any of my briskets I did. I had to add pellets to the Yoder on this cook.

Soak time for MSM. This time after my 6 water changes over 3 hours, I will slice a tiny bit off to fry and test for saltiness. My last one was way too salty.

Attachments

• 5E9F5866-1DF2-49CD-97C5-95DE0AA481BB.jpeg
    5E9F5866-1DF2-49CD-97C5-95DE0AA481BB.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 14
That's impressive indeed. Very good job, you must teach me some day Master Jake

So how many days did you do in the dry brine?

What was your complete ingredient list in the brine rub? Not the cook rub

So how many days did you do in the dry brine?

What was your complete ingredient list in the brine rub? Not the cook rub
I just went the 7 days. Definitely didn't need to do any more as it was fully cured right through. No off-color center in it anywhere. I turned it twice a day and "rolled"/"massaged" the brisket each time. Having it in the vacuum bag helps take the worry out of the ziploc coming undone or leaking.
The dry brine recipe is in the link here. First time using it
I would rinse mine longer next time. I only did 4 hours with water changes. I would go 8 hours next time or longer.

Bought another brisket at $3.99/lb today.
So i started to make pastrami with it because I used up the last of what I made the last time
Will make the corned beef stage first from scratch, and then finish it as pastrami
Trying a dry brined corn beef this time
View attachment 9373View attachment 9374View attachment 9375

The expandable vacuum bags sure make the storage in the fridge for a week easier and cleaner
OMG! $3.99? I just paid $12.99 at Costco, here in Toronto! That's a ridiculous difference! That Corned Beef looks awesome!

Back