Cooking with Foil pans vs placing meat directly on grill grate

I tend to go straight on the grill during the initial part of the cook whereas my goal is to impart as much smoke as possible to the meat. Once ive gone 5 plus hours and the color of the meat/bark is set then I transition to a foil pan with a grate between the meat and the pan...

When I need something under my food, I use Frogmats in my grill. They're reusable, USDA approved, can be cut to size, and can handle indirect temps up to 550F.

I use a cooling tray under the pork / beef/ chicken… then put a Al tray underneath to collect the fat…

Ditto much of what’s said above. I’ll use pans under the grid and in place of foil “crutch” wraps. I’ll put butts and brisket in a pan at 165-175IT and cover the top with foil. I do that to intentionally capture the seasoned renderings. I’ll then put the juices through a fat separator and reintroduce them to the final product. Flavor bomb!

I use a foil pan under the bottom grate. It sits on top of the steel drip pan (which I cover in tin foil). Saves me a lot of money on not having to buy the expensive tin foil drip pan covers and the foil pan catches most of the drippings from everything I smoke. Works like a charm!

Back