Cooking with Foil pans vs placing meat directly on grill grate

Joe

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
So I am curious if there is any advantage to cooking directly on a grill grate rather than using a foil pan other than keeping the grill clean. Does placing the meat directly on the grate allow for more smoke flavor.
I recently did 2 cage in turkey breastsYes using the beer can stand to prop them up and placed them in a foil pan.
They were awesome but I was wondering if there would have been more smoke if I did not use the pan.

Any suggestions??

One potential advantage of not using a pan, or at least keeping it on the bottom grate with the meat on top is that air circulation gets to the entire "whatever you are smoking" and hence you'd expect to get a deeper smoke due to the increased surfaced area. If it is in a pan, smoke cant get to that part.

I always just assumed in the pan your are not going to get near the smoke exposure to all parts of the meat.

Always the grill grid for me, but also grid toppers for fish, bacon wrapped shrimp, stuffed Jalapeños, & chicken nuggets. Grill toppers make it easy to get stuff on and off the grill as well as turn things in one effort.

Grill toppers make it easy to get stuff on and off the grill as well as turn things in one effort.
just wish I could find a bargain on them to buy them by the dozens

I use the grates for smoking only. I use a set of GrillGrates for grilling and searing in the Traeger. Grills up some mighty fine ribeyes!

One disadvantage to the pan, depending on the meat type, is that the meat will sit in the grease/fat/oil instead of having it drain through the grate to another pan or to run off to a collector.

just wish I could find a bargain on them to buy them by the dozens

Look up bbq grilling bags on Amazon. Teflon coated grill bags..
Sponsored
BBQ Mesh Grill Bags - 12 x 9.5 Inch Reusable Grilling Pouches for Charcoal, Gas, Electric Grills & Smokers - Heat-Resistant, Non-Stick Barbecue Bag is a Must-Have for All Pitmasters - Set of 2
4.4 out of 5 stars

So I am curious if there is any advantage to cooking directly on a grill grate rather than using a foil pan other than keeping the grill clean. Does placing the meat directly on the grate allow for more smoke flavor.
I recently did 2 cage in turkey breastsYes using the beer can stand to prop them up and placed them in a foil pan.
They were awesome but I was wondering if there would have been more smoke if I did not use the pan.

Any suggestions??
You might want to try using a pan with a grate inside. This way the smoke can access all of the meat and you can add a liquid to the pan helping to keep it moist. I used apple beer on my turkey and it was quite juicy and flavorfull.

Back