Considering Sous Vide - Expert Recommendations Requested

Don C

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 620
What Brand & Model # did you buy?
I am considering buying the Anova AN525-US00 v.3.0

A link to the "container" you purchased please.
I am considering using a small ice chest & cutting out the corner to put the unit in.

Last edited:
Anova and Joul seem to get great reviews and are very popular. They do come at a premium price. I opted for Inkbird as it was recommended by quite a few people on this forum. I am satisfied with it, I actually own two of them now and got one for my mom.
As for the container, I have used a pot as well as a cooler (not with an altered top, just covered in plastic wrap and foil), there are a few here that have converted a cooler. I might, if I had an extra lid.
I bought two different cambro style containers. Both made for a SousVide
This one is the best quality of the two
Sous Vide Container with Lid Sous Vide Containers with Lid and Rack 12.6 Quart Slow Cooker Container Cooking Container Compatible with Most Sous Vide Cookers https://a.co/d/02h8qHaG
My send has a pop-up style half lid, but it definitely doesn't have the same quality as the other one. It is nice to be able to just pop up half the lid to add or remove the food
I don't think you'll be disappointed with getting one. By far it is my most used appliance for reheating foods for dinners.

I have an older Anova model. It's just called "Precision Cooker WiFi + Bluetooth". Still works great so I never upgraded to a newer model.

I use something like this for most cooks: https://a.co/d/0gA5xlxi

I also bought 2 different size Coleman Party Stacker coolers. They have the same lid. Cut a hole in one of them and now I can either use them as coolers/defrosters/resting or as containers for larger sous vide cooks.

THANK YOU ALL for your responses!

Are the Sous Vide temperatures never high enough to affect the inside walls of an ice chest?

Also would the temperatures cause a reaction with whatever those inside walls of the ice chest are made of? i.e. Is an ice chest a safe container to use with a Sous Vide?

I’ve got a Anova, not sure of the model but I got it a couple years ago at Costco. It came with a two gallon plastic container with a lid. It works flawlessly. I vac seal so much and do smaller portions for my wife and I. I just use a pot in the kitchen, I’ll put enough water to make the unit work and it does great. I also have an oblong ss 5 gallon commercial container that I use too. I rigged up a wooden cover to help keep the heat in. But since it’s so big I pre heat the water.

Based on recommendations from some others on this forum, I purchased one from Inkbird. I got model ISV-200 with 1000 watts. I absolutely love it.

Although I use it for cooking, my primary use is reheating frozen leftovers. I cook large portions on the Traeger and freeze the extras. Vacuum sealed packages can go directly from the freezer to sous vide. I love it that I can cook a steak to my desired doneness on the Traeger, freeze it and reheat it to the same final temp using Sous Vide without overcooking it. It will take 60-90 minutes extra if the food is frozen.

My only regret with the Inkbird is that I did not purchase one sooner.

THANK YOU ALL for your responses!

Are the Sous Vide temperatures never high enough to affect the inside walls of an ice chest?

Also would the temperatures cause a reaction with whatever those inside walls of the ice chest are made of? i.e. Is an ice chest a safe container to use with a Sous Vide?

The max temp on my cooker is 212.5 (just over boiling) but most of my cooks are done in the 125 - 165 range. I wouldn't want the cooker itself touching the sides of the cooler at any temp, but I wouldn't worry about the water temp melting the plastic.

I’ve got a Anova, not sure of the model but I got it a couple years ago at Costco. It came with a two gallon plastic container with a lid. It works flawlessly. I vac seal so much and do smaller portions for my wife and I. I just use a pot in the kitchen, I’ll put enough water to make the unit work and it does great. I also have an oblong ss 5 gallon commercial container that I use too. I rigged up a wooden cover to help keep the heat in. But since it’s so big I pre heat the water.

Costco currently has the V.2.0 for $124.99 - but it doesn't seem to come with a container.

The V.3.0 has more power & dual band Wi-Fi to improve the connectivity (Per Anova)
$127.95 on Amazon & $$129.99 on Anova

WOW! The price of the Anova at Best Buy is twice the price of the Inkbird unit I own. What are you getting for that extra money?. You can purchase a lot of meat for the added $100. Just sayin'!

For my Sous Vide container, I use an old picnic cooler with the original top removed and replaced with a lid with a cut-out for the Inkbird. The insulated walls reduce heat loss. Most of the containers designed to work with sous vide do not have insullation, but a few come with silicone sleeves.

I’ve been running my Anova for the last two years. So far I have close to 100hrs of cooking on it. I have the two gallon plastic container and lid they make as well. Sometimes it’s too small for really large things but for the most part it handles it all. I have rested a lot of briskets in it. I’ve even finished them in it. When it was time to wrap I pulled the brisket vac sealed and threw in the sous vide. One thing to note, if you want some juicy steaks for dinner you can set them temp to your preference before work and when you come home you just pull them out, sear and your done. Since it’s going to hold to meat at whatever temp you set, it will not cook the meat over that temp. For example, if you want your steak medium rare and you set the temp to 135, it doesn’t matter if you come back in two hours or ten. It will stay medium rare. Two hours btw is about what it takes to cook a steak. I typically do two hours at 130 and pull out and sear. By the time I sear they will have jumped another 5-6 degrees. You will love it!

WOW! The price of the Anova at Best Buy is twice the price of the Inkbird unit I own. What are you getting for that extra money?. You can purchase a lot of meat for the added $100. Just sayin'!

For my Sous Vide container, I use an old picnic cooler with the original top removed and replaced with a lid with a cut-out for the Inkbird. The insulated walls reduce heat loss. Most of the containers designed to work with sous vide do not have insullation, but a few come with silicone sleeves.
My inkbird has never failed me either...

Back