Cold Weather Smoking

Hey Everyone,
What’s the coldest weather you’ve ever run the Traeger in?
I’m planning a spatchcock turkey for Saturday and the forecast is -28C low -17C high. (-18F to 1.4F). Will it work? I’m running a Bronson 20 with the insulated cover.
I’ve smoked a turkey on a Traeger Jr. @-20C which I think is the same as your Bronson but I had the insulating kit on it. I now use an Ironwood 650 with no problems. It just takes longer to light and uses a lot more pellets

Hey Everyone,
I’m planning a spatchcock turkey for Saturday and the forecast is -28C low -17C high. (-18F to 1.4F). Will it work? I’m running a Bronson 20 with the insulated cover.
With the Traeger insulated covers I’ve smoked ribs @ -24°F. Just a little extra pellets

I'm curious how it worked at -24F. Was the unit stored at a different temp and then rolled outside to smoke at -24F? (ie. stored in a garage)
Most of the chips are rated to -20C unless Traeger went cheap and only used 0C rated parts. Once the units turns on and gets going the power dissipation in the electronics + residual cook heat would keep the system running fine.

Hey Everyone,
I've smoked at -15F in northern Minnesota a few times and haven't had a problem, even without a blanket. Start up takes a little bit longer, say 20-25 minutes, and uses more pellets, but other than that the grill doesn't have any issues. I plan on smoking a spiral ham and lamb on Thursday and not concerned with my 780 Traeger. The beer may freeze, but the meat will smoke just fine!!! Cheers!!

Back