Clean out

I don't, just if I want a different pellet flavor. Once in a while I'll vacuum and wipe the inside down but usually I do that when I get really low of pellets and can easily empty it.

Do I have to empty the hopper every time i'm done cooking?
The only time I clean out my hopper is at the end of the season or if I am changing pellet types. I clean the interior of my smoker after every 5th cook.

I haven't emptied the pellet hopper for 9 months, I also don't use Traeger's Dust Pellets either so I don't worry about it needing cleaning.

If you live somewhere where it gets really humid and you think the pellets are going to sit in the hopper unused for a while, it might be worth emptying it. But other than that, just when changing flavors or when cleaning.

My Lowes has the PB Competition Blend and the Weber Grillmaster blend and Hickory ... both for $16.99...
I am going to try the PB...Save a couple of $ in the process...

If you keep the Traeger in a dry garage or shed, they should be fine for a number of months. If your grill is kept outdoors and the humidity is high, the pellets can swell and start to fall apart in a few days.

I've got a related question. How often do you guys clean out the ashes? The manual recommends every time before use but that seems a bit much.

My ritual is brush grate, change foil on drip tray, vac ash, reassemble, cook. If I did a short cook previously sometimes I don’t.

Mine is pretty close to Timmy, my difference is that I clean out the hopper down to the Auger if I am going to change Pellets'.
The Auger will flush the old pellets' by the timed it gets up to temp...

I clean after about 4 short cooks (under an hour each) or after every long cook.

I, like John S, don't clear the auger when swapping pellet flavors.

What pellets do you use?
After reading the Traeger pellet patent, seeing that they use flavored oils and soy oil, have little faith in what wood type or % blend they actually contain.

I'm shifting to a smaller range of pure wood flavor pellets. 100% Hickory, 100% Mesquite, are my primary faves. Will add Cherry, Apple, and maybe Oak.

Not the cheapest

Hickory;
CookinPellets 40H Hickory Smoking... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HEYVS2O?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Mesquite;
BBQPelletsOnline 100% Mesquite All Natural Amish-Made BBQ Pellets - 40 Pounds Perfect for Pellet Smokers, Any Outdoor Grill or Pizza Oven | Hot and Strong Smokey Flavor - Two 20 Pound Bags Total https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091RH89C7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1W669RX9BVN77TK074JN

Back