Butcher Paper - what type is best?

diversification

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm going to be buying some butcher paper, and after reading up on it, I realized that I can probably get something besides the branded paper which will achieve the same exact results. I'm still left with some questions, so I'm hoping you guys can provide some clarity before I buy.

1. As I understand it, white butcher paper (like this) is bleached, and therefore is considered to be inferior to non-bleached paper, so it's best to skip that type. I've also heard people say that parchment paper has food grade silicone that will come off during the cook and I don't particularly want that on my food if I can help it - I think this is why most ppl avoid it.

2. I'm not really sure what the difference is between pink paper (example 1 and example 2) and brown paper (example.) I've seen a few articles that suggest that brown paper is technically "steak paper" which is thinner and will tear more easily, but looking at listings the weight seems to be the same, so I'm not sure if this is simply a myth, or what. What am I missing here?

Even with shipping added in, the I'm thinking that I'll probably grab the pink stuff from the Web Restaurant Store because it is FAR cheaper, and the quality sounds like it's the same. Is there anything else I need to consider before buying? Has anyone ever bought this specific butcher paper? Are there other places I could be getting it for less still?

White butcher paper is not for cooking, it's for wrapping meat cold. It has a wax side and not to be used in any cooking situation.
Pink paper is fine, buy from where ever you want... I love Webstaurant.com but I cannot handle their shipping, i get FREE shipping at Amazon so I buy there...

That's the roll I just bought and used it several times already, it's great paper

I have also bought paper at Lowes. I think it's their Oklahoma Joe's brand. I like it because it comes in a nice, thick cardboard tube for storage. I haven't looked at the links so not sure if they do, as well.

Reynolds wrap peach paper at Walmart is what I use.

I also purchased from Lowes. It works. I have heard something about peach version. Supposedly it favored(?) But I don't know to be honest.

Back