Beef Ribs

Blip

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I'm trying my 1st cook of a 4.2 pound, 2 bone Wagyu beef rib. After searching the forum and other videos I've removed the membrane from the bone side and will take off the silverskin from the meat side. I'm going to slather with mustard, and season with Coopers rub (yes that Coopers you Texas people). I will cook at 250 degrees with Mesquite pellets till about 205 degrees. I will not wrap to try to attain maximum bark. Not sure about spritzing. Will wrap in foil and a towel and place in a cooler after the cook for about an hour (or 30 minutes depending on time or hunger). I welcome any suggestions from anybody who is awake. This is the dino bone before removing the silverskin. The fork is just for perspective.

IMG_0856.jpg

6 hours in. Looking good. Temp is 186 degrees. Is spritzing recommended? I've seen yes and no on various sites but I trust the people here.

rib.jpg

If it looks dry spritz it.

I spritzed one time at the 7 hour mark. Ribs were 203 degrees after 8 1/2 hours. I wrapped them and placed in a cooler for 90 minutes. They were perfectly cooked and moist and smokey. Great bark. However, I overseasoned and the bark was way too salty. :mad::eek:😓 First time I've used the Coopers rub. A mistake easily remedied but disappointing after a long smoke. Live and learn.

I
rib.jpg

Ouch, we've all pulled that one, maybe more spritzing, or foil wrap at 160 would have toned down the rub a bit. Still looks amazing, good job!

Back