Any Snack Stick Advice?

Newtra

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
Hey all. I've made venison snack sticks in my Masterbuilt Electric Smoker a few times. Results were decent, not great. Want to give them a shot on my Ironwood 885.

1- Any general info/advice?

2- I usually use 17mm or 19mm casings, any idea how many pounds I could fit if I use both the lower, and upper grates? I was thinking no more then 10lbs.

3- Since I usually hang them, and now they will be flat on the grates, do I need to flip?

4- Temp? I usually do 165 for 2 hours, 185 for 2 hours, then 200 until they reach about 160-185

I really appreciate any info you guys can give me!

<John>

Just a quick bump, no snack stick makers here?

On occasion a deer wanders into the backyard and makes me wonder what it will taste like! You need to direct the question to hunters in the group like @Slimpicker.

Hey all. I've made venison snack sticks in my Masterbuilt Electric Smoker a few times. Results were decent, not great. Want to give them a shot on my Ironwood 885.

2- I usually use 17mm or 19mm casings, any idea how many pounds I could fit if I use both the lower, and upper grates? I was thinking no more then 10lbs.

3- Since I usually hang them, and now they will be flat on the grates, do I need to flip?

4- Temp? I usually do 165 for 2 hours, 185 for 2 hours, then 200 until they reach about 160-185

<John>

#3: I would say since Traeger is convection air then NO, they should get heat without flipping.

#4: that sounds about right but 165° is the "keep warm" cycle, I don't know about the 885, so maybe it goes that low without the "keep warm" setting.

#2: beats me?? but if you load the lower area too much you might block the air movement for the upper shelf. Me? I'd load the upper shelf wall to wall and leave more space between on the lower. Buy a big jerky rack and you can have a 3rd shelf, or more.

Better use a smoke tube also!!

What's your recipe???

#3: I would say since Traeger is convection air then NO, they should get heat without flipping.

#4: that sounds about right but 165° is the "keep warm" cycle, I don't know about the 885, so maybe it goes that low without the "keep warm" setting.

#2: beats me?? but if you load the lower area too much you might block the air movement for the upper shelf. Me? I'd load the upper shelf wall to wall and leave more space between on the lower. Buy a big jerky rack and you can have a 3rd shelf, or more.

Better use a smoke tube also!!

What's your recipe???

Appreciate the info. I don't have a custom recipe, the few times I've made them, I just used the Lem Backwoods season packs. I want to get more into it, and come up with my own recipe eventually.

Surprised there's not more snack stick makers here. I'm also going to attempt venison summer sausage at some point as well on the Ironwood.

<John>
Wish I kept my master built. Got much more smoke flavor.

Back