Ambient Temp Check - Wrong Location?

TheGrumpyGriller

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
I've seen plenty of reports that the Traeger meat probe temp is off, and I don't use it, not alone at least. I have a ThermoPro 4-port (TP-25) that I've been using. In my last cook, I used one to monitor ambient temp, and placed it, using the clip, on the middle rack in the center of the grate.

The TP-25 read about 15-18 degrees higher than the Traeger ambient temp. Have others seen the same thing? Is that a valid comparison, or should I check it in another location?

Thanks!

YES, the grate surface can vary by 20° easy, even more if you are towards the front or back.
Most here set up a probe next to their Traeger probe, then the other place would be right next to your meat or above your meat hanging off the upper grill, that way you know what temp is "surrounding" your meat.

I'll bet we would all be a little surprised as to the surface temps all over our grills... I've placed probes everywhere and gotten some wild temps. But I have a 575 with a stack, so I have heat and smoke escaping more than you do...

YES, the grate surface can vary by 20° easy, even more if you are towards the front or back.
Most here set up a probe next to their Traeger probe, then the other place would be right next to your meat or above your meat hanging off the upper grill, that way you know what temp is "surrounding" your meat.

I'll bet we would all be a little surprised as to the surface temps all over our grills... I've placed probes everywhere and gotten some wild temps. But I have a 575 with a stack, so I have heat and smoke escaping more than you do...
Thanks for the sanity check :) I'll move it the next time just to see how close it is next time.

Latest Discussions

Back