Help! Am I a Dumb ass?

thanks, I keep hearing about the inaccurate temp gauge incl. add 10-20 degrees.. Will try that method first, I was watching that exact you tube last night as I was in Traeger purgatory.
The problem is that you need to know your particular grill. My grill runs 10-15F hotter at the lower temps than what it indicates.

Then there's the meat probe, at a minimum I'd calibrate it in boiling water so it's most accurate in the hotter range. But everyone who cooks should have an instant read thermometer like a ThermoPen MK4 or equivalent to spot check food.

The problem is that you need to know your particular grill. My grill runs 10-15F hotter at the lower temps than what it indicates.

Then there's the meat probe, at a minimum I'd calibrate it in boiling water so it's most accurate in the hotter range. But everyone who cooks should have an instant read thermometer like a ThermoPen MK4 or equivalent to spot check food.

The ThermoPop (made by the same company) is also a pretty solid option. ThermoWorks sends out promos all the time if you join their e-mail list.

I've posted here before about using a blanket insulator in cold weather. It cuts my pellet use almost in half, and I think provides a more even heat in the grill. I originally bought it for use in cold weather cooks, but I used it recently in warmer weather and the meat internal temperature seemed to hold a more even temperature as relates to its position in the chamber. I plan on using it on all cooks in the future. I just use a 4' x 5' welding blanket and drape it over the top tucked in on the pellet side and clamped on the chimney side. Believe me, it makes a difference. You can really see it on how fast the unit heats up.

I've posted here before about using a blanket insulator in cold weather. It cuts my pellet use almost in half, and I think provides a more even heat in the grill. I originally bought it for use in cold weather cooks, but I used it recently in warmer weather and the meat internal temperature seemed to hold a more even temperature as relates to its position in the chamber. I plan on using it on all cooks in the future. I just use a 4' x 5' welding blanket and drape it over the top tucked in on the pellet side and clamped on the chimney side. Believe me, it makes a difference. You can really see it on how fast the unit heats up.
Beings it is not insulated, you will probably be ok. BUT be VERY careful, when outside temp get TO HOT it could cause the paint on the grill to blister and peel. Traeger recommends NOT using an insulation blanket over 35 degrees f.

Edit:https://www.traegergrills.com/learn/all-about-insulation-blankets

I am new to Traeger Forum but not new to how heat transfer works.
You are absolutely right that adding insulation will reduce heat loss and fuel consumption (pellets).
Also, opening the lid to inspect the food will result in huge heat losses.
I am catching myself every time I feel the urge to inspect the food.
Adding thermometers to monitor the cooking progress may reduce the need to open the lid to check things out...

Beings it is not insulated, you will probably be ok. BUT be VERY careful, when outside temp get TO HOT it could cause the paint on the grill to blister and peel. Traeger recommends NOT using an insulation blanket over 35 degrees f.

Edit:https://www.traegergrills.com/learn/all-about-insulation-blankets
I cook at low temperatures, and if the controller is functioning properly it should never approach a temperature that would cause the paint to fail, even at ambient temperatures in the low 100's F. I've got a wood stove with a chimney that's painted black and I guarantee that chimney coming off the stove is in the neighborhood of 7- 800 degrees minimum when the stove is really cranking and that paint has never peeled or blistered. I guess if it does I'll go to the hardware store and buy some black stove paint. My blanket does not cover the electronics or the pellet bin. I would recommend never insulating/covering that area. Nothing good can come of it, and there's no reason to do it.

Hi .
ultra Newbie here. Just bought a 780 at HD this weekend
this is my first smoker/pellet grill.
Here is what went down tonight on my first use:
I followed the seasoning instructions yesterday .
Today I decided to go easy and just put on a Costco pre seasoned Santa Maria tri tip for my first try just to get the kinks worked out
Used the Traegar signature pellets.
Followed cooking instruction from the Traegar site for "smokey Tri Tip" 230 ish degrees wait till it 130-140 inside then turn to 500 and sear each side for several minutes etc...

I like stuff ultra smoky - I like to smell smoke 2 blocks away- if you know what I mean...
so anyway it seemed like it was cooking fine. my wifi was going in and out but-- I need a wifi extender..no big deal.
I was out back anyway watching it. and first thing I noticed is :
where is the smoke?
I was expecting smoky smell to be oozing all over the street but I couldn't really smell much at all till I got right next to it and then it was still faint.

No wuhan here either...so the nose is smelling fine..

-so I am like OK..maybe all the smoke is in the grill.. lets check this end result. The temp sensor was working well.

the end result: I made one on the stove top grill last week for Mom in law and that one came out better than this one..

I probably screwed up something.. or I am retarded?
Also wife like stuff medium whatever and I like it burnt- so that is a problem in itself.
take it out- cut it in half and then put my side back on for another hour while her side is cold AF?
I have no clue

any help would be appreciated
thanks.
I was very underwhelmed with the smoke, or lack of it when I first got my Traeger. I finally bought a TIZZE BBQ SMOKER TUBE and that has worked just fine. You put the pellets in it, light it up with a heat gun and put it on the rack with whatever you are cooking.

I am new to Traeger Forum but not new to how heat transfer works.
You are absolutely right that adding insulation will reduce heat loss and fuel consumption (pellets).
Also, opening the lid to inspect the food will result in huge heat losses.
I am catching myself every time I feel the urge to inspect the food.
Adding thermometers to monitor the cooking progress may reduce the need to open the lid to check things out...
If your lookin you're not cookin

Back