575 Pro issues

I'm looking at the Recteq but they have their own problems too. I just don't understand why they can't get it right. For me, a grand is alot of money for a smoker being retired & on a fixed income. 2 grand is crazy. Makes me want to go back to a $500 side burner. I am monitoring several forums & it's a broken record.
Controller issue
Inaccurate temps
Feed issues
Backfires

The overwhelming opinion is to ignore the display & use your own probes. Why can't these companies offer a controller that matches these 3rd party probes & displays? So why buy such an expensive wifi smoker if you are going to run it manual?
I think part of the issue is that when you use a 3rd party temp probe, you can install it where you think it will give you the most accurate readout. For me, that is just above the top grate. Grill manufacturers have to install the controller probe in a fixed spot that won't interfere with removing grates and trays from the grill. That typically means somewhere along the side of the grill. Since you are not cooking at that location, the temperature is not representative of the cooking area of the grill.

I allow my IW885 controller to control the temperature, but I set the temperature at whatever value will give me the temp I desire at the cooking level. The hotter the setting, the greater the discrepancy in temperatures. A lot has to do with air flow through the grill. The hotter the setpoint, the more the fan runs and the greater the air flow, so the greater the temperature variation.

I wonder why Traeger or others can't use multiple probes & give an option to use one or an average of 2 or 3? The temp probe on the 575 Pro is on right side center below the grate & it's very short & fragile looking. Probably the coldest spot in the smoker. I've see a few that have a vertical probe that extends above the grate. All that would require is a notch. I guess they would just rather ship you replacement controllers than design one that works.

Another thing I see is a 3rd party controller. Really? Gonna buy an expensive smoker & then upgrade the controller for another 200 bucks? Shouldn't the Traeger controller be the most advanced in the industry on their own pellet smoker?

I'm looking at the Recteq but they have their own problems too. I just don't understand why they can't get it right. For me, a grand is alot of money for a smoker being retired & on a fixed income. 2 grand is crazy. Makes me want to go back to a $500 side burner. I am monitoring several forums & it's a broken record.
Controller issue
Inaccurate temps
Feed issues
Backfires

The overwhelming opinion is to ignore the display & use your own probes. Why can't these companies offer a controller that matches these 3rd party probes & displays? So why buy such an expensive wifi smoker if you are going to run it manual?
It's called Yoder. They use Fire Board controllers. It's a pricey solution but a damn good grill. If I replace my Traeger this will be the one to take its place in the back yard.

Buying 3rd party Temp systems for smokers is as old as the first smokers.
You can pay $6000 on a Lang and still you need a complete system of probes and RTDs to know how it's cooking.

People just need to flat out learn, if you want to be good at smoking meat on your smoker, ALWAYS have many probes for many situations.
Even the Yoder doesn't come with the complete system you need.
I have been buying probe systems for ever, you think I'm stupid enough to rely on a couple dial therms that are only to get you a basic idea of what's going on in your smoker. Just like I didn't rely on my Traeger RTD or meat probe to inform me either.

No matter how much $$$ I spend on my next smoker, it's not my smoker's responsibility to make my food SAFE for everyone to eat, it's MINE, and I will always want the best "tools" to help me keep it that way
203c.png

Controller issue
Inaccurate temps
Feed issues
Backfires

I monitor borh sides of my Traeger. Traeger accepts a 20 degree difference between their internal ambient probe and Thermoworks. The Traeger probe side is lower than the opposite side by 4vorc5 degrees 30 minutes after the grill reaches steady state. My procedure is to add 25 degrees to recipe temp that way the cook is pretty predictable. Using recipe temp adds hours to the cook time.

Buying 3rd party Temp systems for smokers is as old as the first smokers.
You can pay $6000 on a Lang and still you need a complete system of probes and RTDs to know how it's cooking.

People just need to flat out learn, if you want to be good at smoking meat on your smoker, ALWAYS have many probes for many situations.
Even the Yoder doesn't come with the complete system you need.
I have been buying probe systems for ever, you think I'm stupid enough to rely on a couple dial therms that are only to get you a basic idea of what's going on in your smoker. Just like I didn't rely on my Traeger RTD or meat probe to inform me either.

No matter how much $$$ I spend on my next smoker, it's not my smoker's responsibility to make my food SAFE for everyone to eat, it's MINE, and I will always want the best "tools" to help me keep it that wayView attachment 10219
I'm not talking probes & digital displays, I've had them for years. I'm talking failed factory controllers. If it was just a temp difference, I can live with that because they all seem to share that problem. I'm talking a controller that's set to 200 or 220 & it runs to 500. How do I trust a long Brisket smoke overnight when I have to keep one eye open so it doesn't burn down my patio? That's an exaggeration but you get what I mean. A 6 week smoker with a half dozen smokes shouldn't need a replacement controller. I'm not new to smoking, I'm 71 yrs old & have probably been smoking on something for 40+ years. I'm asking simple questions, that's all.

I'm not talking probes & digital displays, I've had them for years. I'm talking failed factory controllers. If it was just a temp difference, I can live with that because they all seem to share that problem. I'm talking a controller that's set to 200 or 220 & it runs to 500. How do I trust a long Brisket smoke overnight when I have to keep one eye open so it doesn't burn down my patio? That's an exaggeration but you get what I mean. A 6 week smoker with a half dozen smokes shouldn't need a replacement controller. I'm not new to smoking, I'm 71 yrs old & have probably been smoking on something for 40+ years. I'm asking simple questions, that's all.

I'm sorry I wasn't directing my semi-rant at you about this situation. In fact I guess it could be said I posted this in the wrong place.
Your controller issue is inexcusable. I was mostly saying "no matter what you buy, you'll need addons.

A 6 week smoker with a half dozen smokes shouldn't need a replacement controller.
I agree, and Traeger used to hand them out like candy...

Latest Discussions

Back