22lb Prime Rib

nvrc51

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
Hey everybody looking for a little bit of guidance here. I've got a 22 lb prime rib that I was estimating about 35 minutes per pound at 250°. My target temperature for the middle is 120 degrees and the entire cook with that estimate should take just under 13 hours. I started my cook at 4 a.m. this morning and at 8 a.m. this morning the middle of the prime rib is already at 105 degrees. I'm a little concerned only being four hours in and I'm only 15 degrees from my target temperature. I know typically there is a stall but I don't think it's going to stall for 9 hours. Looking for suggestions on what to do since I wasn't planning on pulling it for another nine hours for dinner. Thank you for your help ahead of time.

Quick update it's almost 9 a.m. and the internal temperature in the middle is at 122 degrees

I'll try to post a picture in a little bit it looks really good but my problem is I'm not serving dinner for another five and a half hours. I just don't know how to keep it warm for that long without drying it out and making it taste horrible

I have experienced similar shortened times with my prime ribs. I just anecdotally noticed they cook much faster than the " stated " times. So now I do prime ribs at 225 F. It extends the times, and smoke little bit, then I sear it ( 275 - 325 ) towards the end for a little added bark. But the only thing that matters is the internal temp so I wouldn't be too concerned about it, except it does throw off your day when your serving time is way off, thats for sure..

I'll try to post a picture in a little bit it looks really good but my problem is I'm not serving dinner for another five and a half hours. I just don't know how to keep it warm for that long without drying it out and
I would just pull it off the grill and wrap it in foil to keep it from drying out. Put in there refrigerator for now and put it back on about an hour before you're ready to serve and finish it

Back