Wondering what might be wrong with my new Fremont Traeger

Grilling Gram

Reaction score
Grill
Fremont
I recently purchased a Fremont Traeger from Costco. I just tried to use the probe and nothing worked. I noticed that the indicator light panel doesn't light up on the status display. After looking deeper into the set ups I found a white cord that was in between the hopper and the grill, part of the cord goes inside the grill barrel where a long skinny, tall unit is and it looks like one cord is in it. It also appears that it has gotten burned or something. It's next to the hole that the probe goes through. I then followed the other part of the cord and it goes to an area underneath the pellet hopper and deep inside attached to an area with lots of wires attached. I don't want to take the unit apart if I don't know what the problem might be. Any ideas 💡

I don't have the Fremont, so I cannot comment on your issue. But you should be able to take it back to Costco and exchange it for one that works.

I have the Fremont also. The probe status light does not come on. But if you press the center button (don't hold it in) once you have the pobe plugged in, you will cycle through the probe temp screen and the timer feature. Each press changes the screen. If you hold in the button you initiate the shutdown process.

I have the Fremont also. The probe status light does not come on. But if you press the center button (don't hold it in) once you have the pobe plugged in, you will cycle through the probe temp screen and the timer feature. Each press changes the screen. If you hold in the button you initiate the shutdown process.
BES, Thank you for the information, I have been pressing the center button but now realized that I have been pressing it way to long, now I understand why it kept shutting down. Can't wait to try your suggestion 👍🙂

I don't have the Fremont, so I cannot comment on your issue. But you should be able to take it back to Costco and exchange it for one that works.
Thanks for your reply, that's my next plan if other suggestions don't work. Let's hope I don't have to resort to that because I don't have any way to take it back. 👍

I do not have a Fremont, I purchased the Ironwood 885. I used my Traeger internal temperature probe on my first couple of cooks. Like many other Traeger owners, I was not impressed. I purchased a 3rd party digital meat thermometer with four probes and a remote monitor. Since getting the 3rd party device, I have not even plugged in my Traeger probe. I doubt you will find many forum members who use the probes that come with the grill. Do yourself a favor and purchase a 3rd party device.

Some of the folks here who do a lot of cooks have purchased some expensive digital thermometers like Fireboard and Meater. While these are excellent devices, it is not necessary to spend a lot of money to improve the performance of your grill.

What you need is a thermometer with a minimum of four probes, accurate readinngs, and some way of remote monitoring.

Inkbird and ThermoPro make devices used by some forum members. There are some devices that are even less expensive than these. Just do not be tempted to save a few dollars by getting a device with only 1 or 2 probes as you will find the extra probes are useful. You need one probe to monitor the cooking temperature at the grate level of the grill and probes for each different protein you are cooking or for similar types of protein if the size of the cut differs.

While you are at it, get a good instant read thermometer. The Thermapen by Thermoworks is highly recommended for accuracy, speed of detection, and durability. I understand that it is the choice of many professional chefs. However, if you do not want to spend that much, you can get similar units that will do the job, but might not be as durable if you use them frequently.

When I take temperature readings, I got frustrated with a, "instant" thermometer that took 5 seconds or longer to provide a stable reading. If I wanted to take multiple readings, the lid on my grill remained open too long. I replaced it with a thermometer that gives me accurate readings within 2-3 seconds.....no more frustration.

On the Fremont, the timer feature won't show up until the Traeger is up and running and the same with the probe temp. The probe also has to be plugged in before it will show up on the screen. The temperature setting is displayed first. Push the center button one time to display the timer. Push the center button again and the probe temp will show up.
The thing is, the Traeger must already be on and running before those setting will appear.

Latest Discussions

Back