What's your go-to oil for cooking on the griddle?

What oil do you use on the griddle?

• Avocado Oil

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Vegetable Oil

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Canola Oil

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Olive Oil

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Peanut Oil

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Soybean Oil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Corn Oil

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Media
Reaction score
Grill
2023 Ironwood-L
I thought it’d be interesting to start a poll and see what everyone’s favorite cooking oil is for the griddle. I just grabbed some avocado oil to try out for my next cook—curious to hear what you all use!

If you don't see your oil of choice listed in the poll, let me know so I can add it.

Does it matter what you plan on cooking? (eggs/pancakes/burgers/fajitas/etc?)

Last edited:
Avocado

Great idea for a poll! I’ve been using avocado oil lately, and I really like it. It has a high smoke point and a neutral flavor, which makes it perfect for griddle cooking. But I also reach for vegetable oil or canola oil when I need something more basic. Curious to see what others are using—should be interesting!

You did not add my preferred oil to your survey. I always use refined peanut oil. I spend over half my life in Virginia where peanut oil is preferred for deep frying. It is also great for griddles.

Peanut oil has a high smoke point of 450F. It is composed of both saturated and unsaturated fats. While it is basically a neutral oil, it does have a slight nuttiness, making it great for any high heat need.

Make sure you get refined peanut oil. Unrefined varieties have a lower smoke point that provide more peanut flavor for salad dressings, etc. but make it less suitable for high-heat cooking. While refined peanut oil should be safe for those with peanut allergies, if you plan on feeding someone with a severe peanut allergy, I would choose an alternative oil

I had a friend die of anaphylactic shock from a food allergy. He was eating at a friend's house (not mine) and left his EpiPen at home. By the time help arrived, it was too late. Food allergies are not something to take lightly.

You did not add my preferred oil to your survey. I always use refined peanut oil. I spend over half my life in Virginia where peanut oil is preferred for deep frying. It is also great for griddles.

I've added peanut oil to the poll!

Soybeanoil canola oil. This is the baseline of American Calories right now. And theseseed oils were actually created by John D Rockefeller as a byproduct of oilproduction. It's basically engine lubricant. And the Rockefeller and thosealigned with them actually lobbied to have this, suitable for humanconsumption. That's how cellulose came into the American diet. They're muchcheaper, but they're highly inflammatory and just by definition, just at thehighest level. These ingredients and all the chemicals we can't name that arein ultra processed food are not natural greens. There are bodies are made tohandle. So there's, as we talk about in good energy, this produces a lot ofside effects to ourselves.

As with many highly processed food products there are concerns about the safety of canola oil.

First is the use of a solvent such as hexane to extract the maximum amount of oil from the seed. Hexane is a very volatile solvent (boiling point 69ºC, or 156ºF) with a very low toxicity (LD50 in rats of 49.0 milliliters per kilogram). Hexane has been used to extract oils from plant material since the 1930s, and “there is no evidence to substantiate any risk or danger to consumer health when foods containing trace residual concentrations of hexane are ingested.” [1]

It has been estimated that refined vegetable oils extracted with hexane contain approximately 0.8 milligrams of residual hexane per kilogram of oil (0.8 ppm). [2] It is also estimated that the level of ingestion of hexane from all food sources is less than 2% of the daily intake from all other sources, primarily gasoline fumes. There appears to be very little reason for concern about the trace levels of hexane in canola oil.

Another concern is the report that canola oil might contain trans-fats that have been linked with significant health problems. In fact, canola oil does contain very low levels of trans-fat, as do all oils that have been deodorized. Deodorization is the final step in refining ALL vegetable oils. This process produces the bland taste that consumers want.

-
Regular go to oil is corn.
Reach for ghee when I'm cooking biscuits and toasting bread/buns. Bacon-up with hash browns and fried/scrambled eggs. Sometimes I'll saute peppers and onions with bacon-up. Hell, let's face it, everything is better with bacon.

PS. Forgot about pancakes. Ghee.

Last edited:
A lot of marketing effort goes into the sale of seed oils.

Because soybeans contain phytoestrogens, a hormone like substance that mimics the female hormone estrogen, you will not find ""soybean oil" listed on the label of cooking oil produced from soybeans. The label will state "Vegetable oil".

Likewise, you would think that canola oil comes from canola, but this is the name for the plant in Spanish. In English, the name of the plant is Rape. But who would purchase a bottle of rape oil. Thus, the Spanish name canola is used to make the product more acceptable.

Likewise, you would think that canola oil comes from canola, but this is the name for the plant in Spanish. In English, the name of the plant is Rape. But who would purchase a bottle of rape oil. Thus, the Spanish name canola is used to make the product more acceptable.

Not Spanish from what I have seen

The reason for the change from Rape seed is correct, good old marketing, because of the connotation of what that word means.
From what I have read it was an abbreviation of Canadian Oil, because Canada took on growing and producing that in mass

Aciete de canola en español

Last edited:
Not Spanish from what I have seen

The reason for the change from Rape seed is correct, good old marketing, because of the connotation of what that word means.
From what I have read it was an abbreviation of Canadian Oil, because Canada took on growing and producing that in mass

Aciete de canola en español

Exactly my point.

In Argentina, where Spanish is spoken, they call the Rapeseed plant Canola. I was not aware that out friends to the north in Canada were the origin of the term coined as a contraction of Canadian Oil. Thanks for pointing this out.

The rapeseed plant was genetically altered, and canola was born. Just happen to be done in Canada, where the canola plant got its origins and name. Canola was genetically altered to remove some of the harmful elements of the rapeseed. But processing anything always seems to introduce its own set of issues. They call the genetically modified plant canola pretty much world-wide now. So yeah, spoken in Argentina and other Latin speaking countries, because there is no Spanish word for the name canola.
I grew up among the farms outside of Winnipeg when the canola craze started. We lost a lot of corn and wheat fields at the time to canola. There are basically what look to be seas of yellow all over the prairies from the canola flowers.

The rapeseed plant was genetically altered, and canola was born. Just happen to be done in Canada, where the canola plant got its origins and name. Canola was genetically altered to remove some of the harmful elements of the rapeseed. But processing anything always seems to introduce its own set of issues. They call the genetically modified plant canola pretty much world-wide now. So yeah, spoken in Argentina and other Latin speaking countries, because there is no Spanish word for the name canola.
I grew up among the farms outside of Winnipeg when the canola craze started. We lost a lot of corn and wheat fields at the time to canola. There are basically what look to be seas of yellow all over the prairies from the canola flowers.
Well, I learned something: Canola means Canadian Oil. Love it!

I thought it’d be interesting to start a poll and see what everyone’s favorite cooking oil is for the griddle. I just grabbed some avocado oil to try out for my next cook—curious to hear what you all use!

If you don't see your oil of choice listed in the poll, let me know so I can add it.

Does it matter what you plan on cooking? (eggs/pancakes/burgers/fajitas/etc?)
Grapeseed oil is what I use

Back