What Traeger To Purchase

PJK

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 22
I am new to pellet grills and am looking for some advice. I am planning on using the Traeger for smoking more than anything. I have a family of 4 so I don’t need a huge sized smoker. I like in Michigan where we have cold winter for 4 months. I was looking at Pro 22 with a blanket to use all winter. Is this a good choice or is there a better option without spending too much money?

Thanks!

I would spend more money and get at least get a Pro575 or Pro780. The wifi control option is really handy.

Is have the Wi-Fi the only difference or are the controls different too?
The entire controller is different. I'm not an expert by any means, but it's a very entry level Traeger and it comes with entry level issues.

The temp accuracy will be better on the Pro 575 / 780 since they use a more sophisticated controller. I also like to be able to check and change temp from the comfort of my favorite chair. That said, you will also want to get some accessories to go along with the grill so keep that in mind when working on your budget.

It is kinda a tough question to answer because you need to balance how much you're willing (and able) to spend vs. your expectations. For example, if you spend $500 to stay within budget and aren't happy but spend $700 and are very happy, then going a little over budget is probably a good thing in the long run (just made up numbers of course).

A few things to keep in mind when looking at a pellet grill in general, and Traeger in specific:
- Pellet grills aren't "smokers" in the sense that you'll get the same smoke flavor from say an off-set smoker. Many people who want more smoke use things like a smoke tube (very cheap on Amazon)
- Traeger temp probes are notoriously inaccurate so you will want to consider a good 3rd party temp probe. Many of us here use Fire Bird 2, Ink Bird or Thermaworks.
- Get a good quick read thermometer. You'll use this a LOT.
- Don't be afraid of "too much space". When I first got my Pro 780 I thought it was HUGE! Now I really appreciate the space and sometimes wish I had more. I find myself doing more and more sides and other items on the grill along with my main course, so the space is handy.
- While the insulation of the Iron Wood and Timberline is nice for cold weather, those grills are $$ and many of us here use welders blankets or other insulation for our cold weather cooks.

You can find good discussions on all of these points on this forum. Good luck!

My only suggestion is that you go as big as you can afford :) It's amazing how quickly you can fill up space. And the WiFi connection makes life so much easier as you can control the grill from anywhere you have an internet connection. That may seem like overkill, but the first time you do something that will take more than an hour, you'll appreciate being able to go out for the day and monitor your cooks. And as Murphy's Law said, you'll need lots of accessories as well, with the first purchases being an InkBird or Fireboard WIFI (not Bluetooth) set of probes and a smoke tube!

Good luck!

I have a Traeger 780 pro and I love it. At the time I was getting ready to buy another brand from Cabelas and they had an issue and upgraded me to the 780 Pro at the same cost. I was also looking at a Rec Tec which was a little out of my price range. I am not sure what your budget is but if you are close to the $1000.00 mark I would also look at the RT.

I am new to pellet grills and am looking for some advice. I am planning on using the Traeger for smoking more than anything. I have a family of 4 so I don’t need a huge sized smoker. I like in Michigan where we have cold winter for 4 months. I was looking at Pro 22 with a blanket to use all winter. Is this a good choice or is there a better option without spending too much money?

Thanks!
I had the 22 and it was not good. I went up to the 575 and have never looked back. A much better machine, keeps the temp within a few degrees. It will do a family of 4 easily but get the front shelf, I can't do without that.

Unless you find a crazy deal on a 22, I'd also recommend going with at least the 575. Here's a good video showing the differences of a 22/34 and a 575/780.

For the money, I love my Pro 780!

Yoder!!!!
smiley-signs081.gif
sorry.gif

Back