What to clean grates with?

TXpitMan

Media
Reaction score
Grill
22 Pro
Howdy folks, just used my traeger for the first time yesterday and I was able to clean the porcelain coated wire grates it comes with pretty easy but I was wondering what you guys recommend to scrape the hard gunk off with down the road. I have seen the wooden tool traeger sells. Of course there are tons of the wire brushes. I don’t particularly like those because sometimes the bristles come off and they themselves are a pain to keep clean. Thanks!

I have the wood tool, I have brushes, I have scrubber pads... I also just run at 400° and burn off the grease. I don't clean often.

I've tried various things (also a Pro 22). Biggest issue I have is not having a sink large enough to immerse the main grate. Resolved that by laying the grate horizontally across the top of the sink and draping a hot soapy cloth over top and letting it set for an hour or so. Turn the grate over and repeat. Then finish up with a Scotch-brite scouring pad; seems to work fine for me and doesn't scratch the enamel.

Traeger makes a cleaner you can find it at Home Depot or online. That's what I've been using. Spray it on the grates, let it sit a few minutes than wipe it off with paper towels. I do this after I use a Steel brush on the grates. Works wonders. I'm sure there's other products, but that's what's been working well for me and My Timberline XL.

Thank you all for the replies. You have provided some good insight.

When I still had the Century 885, I would clean the grates after every cook. I have a farm style kitchen sink large enough to completely submerge and soak the grates in hot Dawn soapy water. After a while a light once over, both sides, with a stainless steel sponge resulted in like new cleanliness. The Century 885 would never get hot enough (fake 500 wasn't really 500) for any hard char to stick to the grates.

I have Pimp-My-Grill grates, so occasionally run it at max heat (450-500), then just use my brush. No soaps or other products.
-PH

Back