Traeger Shuts Down When Probe Plugged In

mattb

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Hi there. I've had a Pro 780 since last July. Frequently when I am mid cook and plug in the probe, the Traeger completely powers off. I have tried Traeger support and replaced the probe and the control board. It still happens. Has anyone else had this happen? Any ideas?

This has happened to me one time a few grilling sessions ago - hoping it was a one-off event

If you replaced ALL of the electronics and the probe, then maybe check the physical connection of the plug socket. Maybe it’s shorting. When you do this, does it power back up with the probe in or do you have to disconnect the probe?

If you replaced ALL of the electronics and the probe, then maybe check the physical connection of the plug socket. Maybe it’s shorting. When you do this, does it power back up with the probe in or do you have to disconnect the probe?
Interesting. It shuts down completely and I have to power cycle.

I have the same issue. Today while my grill was in the start up phase, I removed the probe, cleaned it and then plugged it in when the grill hit temperature. It immediately shut down. This is my second Traeger since Father's day. The first one had the motherboard die after three smokes. I had them send me a new mother board which then would not connect to wireless. I returned the grill and picked up a new one. This one has been working, although the fan is making more noise after a few smokes and I have this probe issue.

I have the same issue. Today while my grill was in the start up phase, I removed the probe, cleaned it and then plugged it in when the grill hit temperature. It immediately shut down. This is my second Traeger since Father's day. The first one had the motherboard die after three smokes. I had them send me a new mother board which then would not connect to wireless. I returned the grill and picked up a new one. This one has been working, although the fan is making more noise after a few smokes and I have this probe issue.

If any static electricity is built-up on your body, inserting the probe will cause the controller to shut-off ... our PRO 780 sits on a concrete pad (reinforced w/steel rebar), and depending on the temp/humidity, just walking around on the pad will have an impact relative to static buildup ... anytime I am handling the probe (insert / removal), I now make sure to touch the front shelf to discharge before inserting ... haven't had the unexpected shutoff reoccur since ...

If any static electricity is built-up on your body, inserting the probe will cause the controller to shut-off ... our PRO 780 sits on a concrete pad (reinforced w/steel rebar), and depending on the temp/humidity, just walking around on the pad will have an impact relative to static buildup ... anytime I am handling the probe (insert / removal), I now make sure to touch the front shelf to discharge before inserting ... haven't had the unexpected shutoff reoccur since ...
That's a logical call, static can really cause issues with electronics.

Have you had the probe in before starting up? What happens then? I am only saying because i get fully setup before I ignite and have never had a probe problem.

Have you had the probe in before starting up? What happens then? I am only saying because i get fully setup before I ignite and have never had a probe problem.

My experience with the shutoff occurring as a result of plugging in the probe happened mid-cook (I usually insert the probe after the protein flip for the last 1/2 of the session) ... touching the front shelf to discharge static sometimes results in a more-than-mild shock for me, so at least in my personal situation, the static electricity generated off of the concrete pad is the concern ...

Please static connecting the probe? Have had 3 camp chefs and have not had to ground myself to hook up the fing probe. I think these grills are crap. My opine take it for what it is worth.

Please static connecting the probe? Have had 3 camp chefs and have not had to ground myself to hook up the fing probe. I think these grills are crap. My opine take it for what it is worth.

It is the surface my grill is on causing the static ... I discharge more-than-mild static electricity regularly based on outdoor temp/humidity just walking on the rebar-reinforced concrete pad when I touch the folding front shelf ... one shutdown was enough to trigger that I needed to be conscious of the fact that the concrete pad is generating static electricity ... it happens on our driveway as well on certain days - so much so that the cat will "stay away" from wanting to receive her usual amount of petting due to the shocks she gets when we make contact ...

I am doubtful it is static in my case, but I'm going to keep that in mind. My grill is on a wood deck and I have not noticed static issues. I think the simple solution for me is to plug in the probe before I start the grill.

I am doubtful it is static in my case, but I'm going to keep that in mind. My grill is on a wood deck and I have not noticed static issues. I think the simple solution for me is to plug in the probe before I start the grill.
It is odd for sure, I've never seen this but it does seem like static issues. And yes, the controller should be immune to this stuff, hmmm.

Back