Timberline XL - Pellets stuck to side of Hopper

johnpriya

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline XL
Hey guys,

I had filled the hopper to 90% before the start of a cook session. Then after cooking for 5Hrs at 275.... It said it is 45%. Then when I checked the hopper, I realized the pellets were stuck to the 3 sides of the hopper, when I evened it out using my hands.... the sensor then says I have 75% left. I'm curious if anyone else have had this issue and if yes, how was it resolved.

Thanks.

All pellet grills do this to some degree and at some point. It’s inherent to the shape of pellets. Think about it. Every year across the country people die in grain bin accidents. This is almost always due to a bridging of the corn or whatever. They enter and it either collapses or they discover an environment void of oxygen. Tragic. Corn is far closer to round than are pellets. Yet corn still bridges and binds together In a silo. They aren’t ball bearings. It’s best to monitor these things. Keeping the hopper full always helps. Also, just because they adhere to the side doesn’t mean they won’t eventually feed, but you can’t be sure. That’s why they started installing pellet sensors.

The only time I worry about this is when I do an overnight cook, but it has never been a problem even then. If you are very concerned about this you can always do what @RemE did:

One thing you can do is remove all the pellets from your hopper, clean the sides carefully of pellet dust and then spray the sides with a food-safe lubricant. Although cooking oil can be used, over time it will turn rancid and become sticky, compounding the problem.

The best choice would be to use food grade silicone spray such as that made by CRC. It is more expensive than cooking oil, but it is used in many food processing plants to lubricate equipment . After spraying the sides of the hopper, allow the spray to dry and wipe off any excess.

Not every silicone lubricant is food safe. There are some silicone lubricants that can be used in food processing plants where direct or incidental contact with food is unlikely, such as lubricating a fork truck, but not for use on food processing machinery. I would suggest that you look for one specifically labeled as NSF H1 food safe. The CRC product does meet that standard. The commonly available WD40 silicone spray contains petroleum solvents and would not be considered food safe. It would be suitable for lubricating the wheels of your grill.

Latest Discussions

Back