Timberline 850 - Won't Turn On (exposed to snow)

meatdreams

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Hey all,

Before posting, I did look through the FAQs and didn't really see anything that helped with my issue. This FAQ (https://www.traegergrills.com/support/grill-not-turning-on) described my problem generically, but none of the advice really helped.

Hoping you all might have some thoughts...

I live in Texas and if you live in Texas or have been keeping up with the news, you will know we got hit with a crazy winter storm. Texas doesn't know how to handle snow and we got a nice heaping of it. My Traeger sits on my covered patio and I don't really have to think much about it concerning the elements, but this time I really should have covered it up. Unfortunately, I realized that too late and it had snow on top of the unit, but more concerning is the snow that was around the digital controller. I had a feeling some of the circuitry might get messed up.

Sure enough, after things thawed out and our weather returned to normal, I tried to go out and start up the grill and it wouldn't turn on. I noticed that although the grill was off, I had forgotten to turn the rear switch off...so I'm guessing something shorted out. I actually had on hand a brand new digital controller that customer support had sent me a while back, but I didn't need it because the grill ended up working fine. So, I decided to try and replace the unit with the new one and hoped that would solve the problem. It didn't...

At this point, I'm wondering what other parts you all recommend I need to get replaced and how much do you think I'm looking at? Anyone else experience an issue like this?

What an expensive learning lesson this winter storm has been! Thank you in advance for any help you all can offer.

When you turn on the rear switch, does it light up?

Next, does the controller's power button LED circle light up?

If NO, it's probably the DC power supply module, it's mounted on the inside back wall of the pellet hopper. It has no fuse and may have gotten zapped by a power spike.

Do make sure that your outlet has power and the power cord is firmly connected at both ends.

Thanks for the reply, RemE.

Rear switch does not light up. Though, I wonder if all switches light up? Mine is all black and I don't recall seeing it light up previously. Possible I just never noticed.

Controller LED circle does not light up. I do remember that lighting up previously, so I know exactly what you are talking about.

Okay and do you know where I can pick one of those up? Hopefully it's not too costly.

Yes, outlet has power and cord is firmly connected at both ends.

Could you test the cord?, maybe it might fit a laptop brick or something that uses the same female slots just to see if the cord is working on its own.

the DC power supply module, it's mounted on the inside back wall of the pellet hopper. It has no fuse and may have gotten zapped by a power spike.

Do you have this on a GFI?? if so I would think the GFI would trip before it did harm to your unit... maybe not in a surge.
RemE, you really think the melted snow can get to the power supply??? obviously I don't have a timberline but these things are built for some weather. Everything drips off lids or straight down.
scratchheadyellow.gif

You guys, I'm an idiot...sorry!

I had checked my breakers the day before I went out to inspect the grill (for a different reason) and none of them had tripped. Well, between that time and when I tried to start the grill recently...the GFI tripped. I guess as things thawed, it tripped and I didn't consider that. My fault for not double-checking.

To make up for it, I'll post some pics of the next thing I cook. 🤤

Glad you are sorted out!

BTW, I suspect you have an older 850? If switches aren't illuminated, you probably have an A/C version controller. I was referring to the new D2 based Timberline's with DC controller and power supply.

Latest Discussions

Back