Temperature Spikes on Pro Series 34

Garrysaw

Reaction score
Grill
Pro Series 34
Good day folks. I smoked a pork shoulder over the weekend, and my Pro Series 34 had a temperature spike from the set 225 all the way up to 290F. It then cooled down to 180, hovered there for a bit then went up to 240 and stayed there for the balance of my smoke.

I'm thinking about replacing the hot rod igniter, temperature sensor and digital temperature control panel as these are the only things I think could cause what I experienced. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Good day folks. I smoked a pork shoulder over the weekend, and my Pro Series 34 had a temperature spike from the set 225 all the way up to 290F. It then cooled down to 180, hovered there for a bit then went up to 240 and stayed there for the balance of my smoke.

I'm thinking about replacing the hot rod igniter, temperature sensor and digital temperature control panel as these are the only things I think could cause what I experienced. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you don't have a reliable 3rd party probe to keep in the pit, almost right next to the Traeger probe, then you don't 'really' know what the temp was in there... Spiking high when reaching temp in not uncommon, leveling off and staying there means it's all good.
But the RTD Traeger probe is not reliable at all to give correct internal pit temps... it is only used as guide. My Traeger probe and real time pit temp are 25° off almost continuously!!

If your grill is OLD then maybe replacing parts will help but not even a brand new RTD will be accurate.

1618146502153.png

My Traeger built in RTD probe is off, it is not accurate. Is there a way to calibrate it?

Latest Discussions

Back