Temperature rises

Boxerbob

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Eastwood 22
I have a 2 year old Eastwood 22, a few weeks ago, I got a error code so I was given and installed a new temperature probe, a few days later I could not get to 180 degrees, it would always go to 225-230. I spoke with Traeger Tech Support, they re always wonderful, they determined I need a new controller, I installed it and it still went to 225, when I got the controller, they gave me a new probe, so I installed that. I was on the phone with tech for 2 hours on Friday, and final solution was to not have it in the sun, Las Vegas afternoons are over 100 degrees. I put it in the shade, and tried in early morning when it was low 80's to start and again it went to 225-230 on smoke, or on 180. I keep my unit clean, the stack was opened enough per Tech Support. Any ideas?

I live in the Chicago area. My grill sits on my back deck where it receives the morning sun. A few days ago, with the ambient temperature around 85 degrees, the temperature inside my grill reached 150 degrees, even without starting a fire.

If your grill is in the sun in Las Vegas with an ambient temperature of 100 degrees and the blazing sun unimpeded by high humidity levels, I could see your temperature reaching 160 degrees or even higher without igniting your pellets.

You might try cold smoking using a smoke tube or two but not using your burn pot if you cook in the sun. Otherwise, wait until sunset and allow your smoker to run overnight.

I do most of my cooks at a temperature of 225. That is the temperature recommended for many recipes. If you must smoke at lower temperature (making jerky for example), try the smoke tubes.

Here in Clarksville, TN, we're in the middle of a heat wave, temps in the mid to high 90s with indexes pushing it to around 110.

I had some issues with my Pro34 over the weekend and had to do a little maintenance on it yesterday, I noticed that when I set the temp to 225 it was registering in the mid 300s.

Was it working as expected before you got the error and had to replace the probe?

I would keep pushing them and tell them you want a replacement grill if they can't figure it out.

Latest Discussions

Back