T-line 1300 gen 1 conversion to D2 controller

Theballwinwhites

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300, Junior Elite
I have a timberline 1300 1st gen and camy read the screen hardly anymore so I was thinking of putting in a D2 controlle. anyone done this, what’s involved and is it worth upgradin?

I converted my 850 but it wasn't easy. Unless you're pretty handy and have access to a welder and such. I wouldn't attempt it. Everything has to change the fan, pellet drive, hot rod etc.

I just did it with a 1300. Like others mentioned you have to do a modification for the auger motor which was the only mod I needed to do.
The previous owner was shipped a new D2 controller from Traeger even though it was the D1 AC version. He couldn't do it so he gave it to me. I bought the auger motor, fan, firebox/hot rod and auger. Since he already had the most expensive part (controller) I am in it $300 and time. Works great and the grill itself was practically new so a good deal in my opinion.
I later bought the thermocouple because i broke the tip off the original.
I also just bought the pellet sensor since the D2 has the plug for it. Problem is that it didn't come with the cable. I've found one and iwll probably order it ($9.99+ship) but was thinking of making one. Trouble is it's a 4 wire and I'm not sure if it's a straight through on all 4 or if any cross over at all and don't really wat to chance blowing it.
So if anyone has the cable and happens to know (or look) to see if it's a straight 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc connection please let me know. I mess with electronics so have everything neede to make the cable, just don't know the wiring/pinning.

I just did it with a 1300. Like others mentioned you have to do a modification for the auger motor which was the only mod I needed to do.
The previous owner was shipped a new D2 controller from Traeger even though it was the D1 AC version. He couldn't do it so he gave it to me. I bought the auger motor, fan, firebox/hot rod and auger. Since he already had the most expensive part (controller) I am in it $300 and time. Works great and the grill itself was practically new so a good deal in my opinion.
I later bought the thermocouple because i broke the tip off the original.
I also just bought the pellet sensor since the D2 has the plug for it. Problem is that it didn't come with the cable. I've found one and iwll probably order it ($9.99+ship) but was thinking of making one. Trouble is it's a 4 wire and I'm not sure if it's a straight through on all 4 or if any cross over at all and don't really wat to chance blowing it.
So if anyone has the cable and happens to know (or look) to see if it's a straight 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc connection please let me know. I mess with electronics so have everything neede to make the cable, just don't know the wiring/pinning.
I'm doing the same thing I went ahead and ordered the $10 cable. I don't know how a guy would ever come up with the ends.

Attachments

• 20240408_175720.jpg
    20240408_175720.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240408_175734.jpg
    20240408_175734.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240408_175737.jpg
    20240408_175737.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 34
I'm doing the same thing I went ahead and ordered the $10 cable. I don't know how a guy would ever come up with the ends.
Wow, I'm glad you came along. I hadn't looked at the back of the controller to see the end is a 8 pin. I assumed it was only 4 on both ends. So you're very correct on finding the correct ends plus how the pinning goes.
So did you convert a grill to DC or just adding the sensor?
And thanks BTW on the pics, I'll definitely order it now.

Follow up. I actually have the 8 pin connector but would have to modify the 4 pin I have but it would work. Since your pic clearly shows the pinning I could make it fairly easy. But I've already ordered it so no need to make it.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm glad you came along. I hadn't looked at the back of the controller to see the end is a 8 pin. I assumed it was only 4 on both ends. So you're very correct on finding the correct ends plus how the pinning goes.
So did you convert a grill to DC or just adding the sensor?
And thanks BTW on the pics, I'll definitely order it now.

Follow up. I actually have the 8 pin connector but would have to modify the 4 pin I have but it would work. Since your pic clearly shows the pinning I could make it fairly easy. But I've already ordered it so no need to make it.

I tried to send you a message but I can't. So I will ask it here. Do you have any pictures on how you did the auger/auger motor modification? Traeger sent me a DC Controller for my Timberline 1300. So now, I have to order the rest of the DC components to make it work...

I tried to send you a message but I can't. So I will ask it here. Do you have any pictures on how you did the auger/auger motor modification? Traeger sent me a DC Controller for my Timberline 1300. So now, I have to order the rest of the DC components to make it work...
I took some pics but can't locate them right off. I'll keep looking and if not will get some new pics as I need to pull the box off again to install a longer antenna wire I got.

Last edited:
I took some pics but can locate them right off. I'll keep looking and if not will get some new pics as I need to pull the box off again to install a longer antenna wire I got.

That would be great! Also, how you mounted your antenna and power supply. Since, Gen1 doesn't have the brackets for them. Thanks again!

There's a tab where the bottom cover screws on it does not interfere with it if you put it right there. Power supply just used an old license plate. Auger motor was more complicated. made brackets and had the fabricate a collar with a flat spot to engage the DC auger motor.

Attachments

• 20240527_121655.jpg
    20240527_121655.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240527_121706.jpg
    20240527_121706.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240527_121716.jpg
    20240527_121716.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240527_121808.jpg
    20240527_121808.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 33
There's a tab where the bottom cover screws on it does not interfere with it if you put it right there. Power supply just used an old license plate. Auger motor was more complicated. made brackets and had the fabricate a collar with a flat spot to engage the DC auger motor.

I was thinking something like this for the Auger Motor Mount. So I don't have to modify the Auger Motor and Auger itself. From your picture you are using the AC Auger correct? Great idea on the wifi antenna.

1716836142550.png

Yes my whole system was an AC system and I switched it to the DC. That picture you posted looks like an AC motor.

Yes my whole system was an AC system and I switched it to the DC. That picture you posted looks like an AC motor.

Yes, it's an AC system that you see in the photo. But the mount is the ideal I was thinking about to mount my DC Motor. I will have more of an idea when the DC Auger Motor and Gen 2 Auger gets here.

Do you still use the bottom cover of the hopper to protect the electronics?

Well sure glad I found this as I was thinking about it. It seems a lot more cost effective to polish up my 850 Timber AC and sell it and use that money to buy a great condition 850 Timber D2 and that would likley only cost an extra $200, maybe.....and no work required. Just does not seem to make any sense to go through all that work and an extra $500 for parts?
Traeger just sent me a replacement controller with new firmware. and my smoker looks and performs just as nice as it did when It was bought it 4yrs ago.

Attachments

• my850.jpg
    my850.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back