St. Louis Style Ribs and 3-2-1 Cooking Method

ThorPan

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Hi,

OK, so the very first time I did St. Louis Style ribs on our Traeger Pro 575 grill they came out fantastic! I followed the 3-2-1 method to the letter and they were all tender and juicy from the big ribs down to the small ones. Not so much any more though. I figured out that the difference was that the first ribs we ever did were vacuum packed and were injected. None of them since then have been, and I haven't made a great rack of ribs since even though I've tried to tweak the recipe multiple ways to get them to come out as good as those first ones did. I've always wrapped them in aluminum foil since we prefer moist, fall off the bone good ribs with BBQ sauce put on as a finisher while on the Traeger.

And before anyone asks, yes, the grill temp was checked using a ThermaPen, and is running within 5° of the RTD at the same location as the RTD, so that's NOT the problem.

So, what can I do to get that smoky flavor in a rack of ribs that's tender, moist, and fall off the bone good as well as having BBQ sauce that's set perfectly on the ribs? The ribs I'll be using are NOT injected with anything and are all natural. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I'd love to make some great ribs for this holiday weekend.

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:
Every rack of ribs will be different. Following any cooking recipe "to the letter", might achieve perfect results, or not, as you have noted. You have to adapt the cooking times and temperatures to fit the cook.

The key thing is that you should smoke the ribs unwrapped until the internal temperature reaches the stall point which will typically be somewhere between 160-170F. For ribs, this will typically happen around the 3 hour mark, but might take more or less. You might want to spritz the ribs periodically to keep them moist or you can place a pan of water under the ribs, I like to spritz with a combination of 1/3 water, 1/3 apple juice, and 1/3 apple cider vinegar, but you can use whatever you prefer.

In the 3-2-1 method, the ribs are then wrapped for approximately 2 hours. However, what is critical is that the ribs reach a temperature between 200-205F. Competition pitmasters do not want fall-off-the bone ribs, but I like them that way, so you cook to your own preference. You want to add liquid and/or fat to the package when you wrap the ribs. That will keep them moist and juicy as they cook. Some people like Waygu tallow, but I have not tried that. Do not cook based on time, but cook to internal temperature.

When you unwrap the ribs, the internal temperature will drop significantly, but that is OK as you have already rendered the fat and connective tissue. The last hour or so of cooking is to remove excess moisture from the ribs and to allow saucing the ribs is that is your desire. The exact time will depend upon how the ribs look.

Do not remove the ribs from the grill and take them directly to the table. Plan your cook such that they can rest after cooking.

Hi,

OK, so the very first time I did St. Louis Style ribs on our Traeger Pro 575 grill they came out fantastic! I followed the 3-2-1 method to the letter and they were all tender and juicy from the big ribs down to the small ones. Not so much any more though. I figured out that the difference was that the first ribs we ever did were vacuum packed and were injected. None of them since then have been, and I haven't made a great rack of ribs since even though I've tried to tweak the recipe multiple ways to get them to come out as good as those first ones did. I've always wrapped them in aluminum foil since we prefer moist, fall off the bone good ribs with BBQ sauce put on as a finisher while on the Traeger.

And before anyone asks, yes, the grill temp was checked using a ThermaPen, and is running within 5° of the RTD at the same location as the RTD, so that's NOT the problem.

So, what can I do to get that smoky flavor in a rack of ribs that's tender, moist, and fall off the bone good as well as having BBQ sauce that's set perfectly on the ribs? The ribs I'll be using are NOT injected with anything and are all natural. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I'd love to make some great ribs for this holiday weekend?

Thanks in advance!!!
I did a rack of St Louis ribs yesterday that came out to my liking. I did the 3 hours at 190, the wrapped (in foil) for 2.5 hours @ 225, and the final unwrapped (but sauced) hour at 235. I cooked them a bit longer wrapped since I think the standard recipes are for baby backs, and the St Louis ribs have more fat and connective tissue. And yes the rest for 15 minutes helps as well.

Every rack of ribs will be different. Following any cooking recipe "to the letter", might achieve perfect results, or not, as you have noted. You have to adapt the cooking times and temperatures to fit the cook.

The key thing is that you should smoke the ribs unwrapped until the internal temperature reaches the stall point which will typically be somewhere between 160-170F. For ribs, this will typically happen around the 3 hour mark, but might take more or less. You might want to spritz the ribs periodically to keep them moist or you can place a pan of water under the ribs, I like to spritz with a combination of 1/3 water, 1/3 apple juice, and 1/3 apple cider vinegar, but you can use whatever you prefer.

In the 3-2-1 method, the ribs are then wrapped for approximately 2 hours. However, what is critical is that the ribs reach a temperature between 200-205F. Competition pitmasters do not want fall-off-the bone ribs, but I like them that way, so you cook to your own preference. You want to add liquid and/or fat to the package when you wrap the ribs. That will keep them moist and juicy as they cook. Some people like Waygu tallow, but I have not tried that. Do not cook based on time, but cook to internal temperature.

When you unwrap the ribs, the internal temperature will drop significantly, but that is OK as you have already rendered the fat and connective tissue. The last hour or so of cooking is to remove excess moisture from the ribs and to allow saucing the ribs is that is your desire. The exact time will depend upon how the ribs look.

Do not remove the ribs from the grill and take them directly to the table. Plan your cook such that they can rest after cooking.
Hi RayClem,

Thanks much for your response! I do pretty much all of that other than checking the temp with a ThermaPen while they're wrapped. It's hard enough to hit such a skinny piece of meat between the bones, and even harder yet when you can't see where the meat or the bone are. LOL!! Not to mention, ya really don't want any holes in the wrapping that will allow moisture to escape. I'll have to see if I can figure out a way to probe them with my InkBird and keep it in there while they're wrapped.

I usually smoke them at 180° before wrapping and at 225° once they're wrapped. Low and slow.

I did a rack of St Louis ribs yesterday that came out to my liking. I did the 3 hours at 190, the wrapped (in foil) for 2.5 hours @ 225, and the final unwrapped (but sauced) hour at 235. I cooked them a bit longer wrapped since I think the standard recipes are for baby backs, and the St Louis ribs have more fat and connective tissue. And yes the rest for 15 minutes helps as well.
Hi Haolemon,

Thank you for your response! Sounds like about the same times and temps that I've tried one time or another. The larger side of the ribs usually isn't too bad, but the smaller side is usually drier and not as good.

Hi RayClem,

Thanks much for your response! I do pretty much all of that other than checking the temp with a ThermaPen while they're wrapped. It's hard enough to hit such a skinny piece of meat between the bones, and even harder yet when you can't see where the meat or the bone are. LOL!! Not to mention, ya really don't want any holes in the wrapping that will allow moisture to escape. I'll have to see if I can figure out a way to probe them with my InkBird and keep it in there while they're wrapped.

I usually smoke them at 180° before wrapping and at 225° once they're wrapped. Low and slow.

Once the ribs are wrapped, they cannot absorb any more smoke through the wrapping (foil or paper). Thus, there is no reason to stick with 225F. You can easily boost the temperature up to 250-275 F to speed up the cooking process. As long as the ribs get hot enough, the fat and connective tissue will render. Just do not go so hot that you are grilling the ribs.

Supposedly, rib-masters learn to pick up a rack of ribs off the grill using an insulated glove and observe how much the ribs bend. With practice, that observation is just as valuable as checking temperature. Do no worry about poking a hole or two in the foil with your Thermapen. You do not need to do that until about the 2 hour mark after wrapping. You might lose a little steam, but it won't be a lot. The feel of the probe as it penetrates the meat is just as important as the actual temperature. If you are looking for fall off the bone, you want to be probe tender.

Once the ribs are wrapped, they cannot absorb any more smoke through the wrapping (foil or paper). Thus, there is no reason to stick with 225F. You can easily boost the temperature up to 250-275 F to speed up the cooking process. As long as the ribs get hot enough, the fat and connective tissue will render. Just do not go so hot that you are grilling the ribs.

Supposedly, rib-masters learn to pick up a rack of ribs off the grill using an insulated glove and observe how much the ribs bend. With practice, that observation is just as valuable as checking temperature. Do no worry about poking a hole or two in the foil with your Thermapen. You do not need to do that until about the 2 hour mark after wrapping. You might lose a little steam, but it won't be a lot. The feel of the probe as it penetrates the meat is just as important as the actual temperature. If you are looking for fall off the bone, you want to be probe tender.
That’s the way I do my ribs, I’ve never probed them but I go by bend and exposed bone. I’m like you, I’m not into competition, I like mine falling off the bone. I use the fist 3 hours for smoke flavor, I then crank it up to 300, wrap and check in about two hours. I can usually tell by squeezing them in the foil with my insulated gloves. Even easier when it’s hot or cold outside, I just move them to the oven to finish them off.

I've found that the Traeger generates more smoke at lower temps, so the last batch of ribs I did went like this:
  • Initial rub was simply cracked pepper and Lawry's -but you do you!
  • Noon: Start at 180°F for an hour
  • 1:00 PM Then bump to 200° for an hour
  • 2:00 PM Then bump to 225° for an hour
  • 3:30 PM IT = ~170, Wrap w/brown sugar and butter, bump to 250
  • 4:45-5:00 PM IT over 200, Glaze unwrapped for 30-60 min
  • 6:00 PM - Off the grill & resting !
I was totally prepared to pull and wrap them at as soon as they got in Internal Temp near 170°. These still took 6 hours, and were a bit more "fall off the bone" then I like, but they were smokier and definitely juicy. I believe I also used a smoke tube with this batch. Next time, I may wrap with an IT closer to 160-165.
-PH

That’s the way I do my ribs, I’ve never probed them but I go by bend and exposed bone. I’m like you, I’m not into competition, I like mine falling off the bone. I use the fist 3 hours for smoke flavor, I then crank it up to 300, wrap and check in about two hours. I can usually tell by squeezing them in the foil with my insulated gloves. Even easier when it’s hot or cold outside, I just move them to the oven to finish them off.

Good point. Once the ribs are wrapped, they have absorbed as much smoke as they every will. Thus, you can finish the cook in the kitchen oven. Gas or electricity is less expensive than cooking pellets.

I've found that the Traeger generates more smoke at lower temps, so the last batch of ribs I did went like this:
  • Initial rub was simply cracked pepper and Lawry's -but you do you!
  • Noon: Start at 180°F for an hour
  • 1:00 PM Then bump to 200° for an hour
  • 2:00 PM Then bump to 225° for an hour
  • 3:30 PM IT = ~170, Wrap w/brown sugar and butter, bump to 250
  • 4:45-5:00 PM IT over 200, Glaze unwrapped for 30-60 min
  • 6:00 PM - Off the grill & resting !
I was totally prepared to pull and wrap them at as soon as they got in Internal Temp near 170°. These still took 6 hours, and were a bit more "fall off the bone" then I like, but they were smokier and definitely juicy. I believe I also used a smoke tube with this batch. Next time, I may wrap with an IT closer to 160-165.
-PH

During every cook of a large piece of protein, their comes a time when the heat provided by the pellet fire is only sufficient to evaporate moisture from the surface of the meat, but insufficient to raise the internal temperature. This phase is called the stall. It usually occurs somewhere between 160-170F depending upon the moisture content of the protein.

When this occurs, you have three options.
1. You can wait out the stall. Eventually, the surface moisture will evaporate and the cook can continue. This method will maximize the smoke flavor, but the cook time will be extended.
2. You can wrap the protein in foil or butcher paper. This is sometimes called the Texas crutch The wrapping traps moisture so it cannot evaporate. The heat of the fire is now being used to heat the meat rather than evaporate moisture. The meat steams in its own juices. This speeds up the cooking time, but lessens smoke flavor.
3. You can also boost the cook temperature once the cook reaches the stall. This provides additional heat to power through the stall.

Of course, you can use a combination of methods. BBQ is as much an art as it is a science.

Back