Beef SOLVED, SOUS VIDE IT IS, 6+lb bone in RibEye Roast

Slimpicker

⚒️ MODERATOR
Staff member
Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze► OKJoe's Longhorn Combo► WeberQ Gasser ►Weber kettle► UDS ► Inkbird Sous Vide
►I need to cook that baby for Christmas Eve by 6pm in 0° weather outside!!!!
►I'm not cooking it past Medium Rare (130° IT??), because the 2 ends will be more done and any piece can be microwaved if too bloody.
►I'm taking it to my nieces who only lives 1000 ft from me, but I'll bet when I get there it might sit till we eat... HOW THE F do I keep it warm without cooking it further.
►They will have an oven filled with shit, Foil wrapping it and in a cooler will continue to cook it, maybe past Med-rare.
►I have 'foiled' them before but only at my house and only on the counter till we ate.
And how long will I fight this thing in 0° weather!!??? I have a space heater I can have blowing 'under' the area of intake for the fan, that might help the fan to suck in warmer air. Yeah???
►I'll cover the 575 with a insulate blanket also.
► I guess I could take it OFF the smoker at 110°IT and put it in my turkey roaster and set that on 200 and take it there that way. Cook till 130°IT there!!! YEAH??? (using my FireBoard Obviously)

I don't need recipe suggestions, just Technique suggestions please. Thanks Guys.
I'm leaning towards that LAST idea of taking off early and finish in roaster there.

Wish I could help Slim. I've only used my Traeger in Florida. If it gets to 0F here we have bigger problems than how long to cook the roast. Given how well the cooler works with brisket I might go that way; I always like prime rib a little more done (i.e., I order medium to get medium rare) since the bones keep it a little rarer anyhow.

Not sure if this will work, but here goes: How about reverse searing it in the Traeger till it gets to 125 internal. Then wrap it and take it to your niece's place and sear it under the broiler.

since the bones keep it a little rarer anyhow.
I know, wondering how much meat to precut away from the bones before cooking... I hate that meat/bone area

I’ve never smoked one (not a fan of smoked beef) but I’ve done several in my Sous Vide and turned out perfect. It takes longer but hardly no work involved and I can choose when I need it completed.

I’ve never smoked one (not a fan of smoked beef) but I’ve done several in my Sous Vide and turned out perfect. It takes longer but hardly no work involved and I can choose when I need it completed.
That's interesting, what temp, how long and did you sear after???
This method would sure keep me from freezing my jewels off

I too like mine bloody so after seasoning (let sit in refrigerator overnight or several hours) then SV on 128 for 10-16 hours. Then depending on how my timing goes I’ll sear on my Blackstone not letting the temp (probe end after searing) go past 130. You could SV, ice bath, refrigerate a day or so then sear, probe and put on Traeger until desired temperature. Many ways to Sous Vide beef and makes life much easier and less stressful. I have SV pork butts, then ice bath then put on my egg and still get a decent smoke flavor.

SETTLED!!! SOUS VIDE IT IS... some of the online methods are AWESOME!!! The only thing missing is the 'smoke' flavor but I'll use the weather as my excuse!!!

THANKS Shedd Douglas

worthy.gif
goodjob.gif

UPDATE:
Sous Vide PR went by the book.
8 hours at 132°, Cooled after take out enough to put the butter on.
Cut open the Vac bag and lots of blood, not to worry, everything goes in a foil pan and in oven for the sear, 15 min at 500°
Remove and perfectly done, every piece red but no running blood. Flavor was great, it was a not 'hot' because stuff never is at a party.
Takes too long to load plate, sit and eat. It was very successful tho. If it was at my house, I would have eaten it right outta that oven hot.

Anyway, I couldn't have done that on the Traeger in as low of outside temp as we had.

Back