smoking rear 1/4 whitetail venison

arthurdent

Media
Reaction score
Grill
ironwood 650
I smoked a rear quarter of venison today. Maybe a 25-pound hunk of meat so I divided it into two pieces along the bone line. Venison is a lean meat so I was concerned about drying it out during the smoke

The end products are quite moist and delicious. Pictures, recipes, and steps are listed:
1. Trim all visible fat (Venison fat will lend a gamey taste to the meat)
2. Trim as much silver skin as is reasonable
3. I brined 36 hours. Use your favorite brine. I used a traditional brine with the addition of Worcheshire sauce.
4. Pat dry. Then apply your favorite rub. (My rub recipe is listed) I refrigerated the rubbed meat for 12 hours.
5. Prior to the refrigeration both roasts were generously injected with liquid beef tallow. I used brisket trimmings which were thawed then rendered while the roasts were in the brine stage. Waygu would be interesting here.

6. I preheated the Ironwood 650 to 180 degrees using Bear Mountain oak pellets.
7. Smoked the venison AND blackberry marinade with a target of 140 degrees internal. (rare) Marinade recipe listed. Used super smoke mode. The lowest temp at super smoke allowed maximum smoke deposition. I declined to use additional smoke tubes. Venison is suspectable to a bitter taste if the smoke generated is incompletely converted.
8. At 120 internal a great crust was present so I increased the external temperature to 220 degrees.
9. Ended smoke at 142 via thermopen reading
10 . Rested for 2 hours. Cut to reveal a very juicy end product with an awesome smoke ring. Squeezing the cut meat extruded fat and juice rivaling a good brisket smoke. :cool::p
11. The "gamey taste was averted. The fine grain texture of a Venison roast was evident.

BRINE
1.5-gallon water
1.25 cup apple cider vinegar
1.5 cup Blackstrap molasses I like the contrast of bitter to sweet.
2.0 tablespoons red pepper flakes
1/2 cup Worcheshire sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
I feel there is plenty of salt in the Worcheshire and soy sauces.

RUB
75% coarse cracked black pepper
20% Lowerys seasoned salt
5% garlic powder
(One roast also had a liberal coating of Rosemerry) I would do this again. It really allowed the Venison taste sparkle.

Blackberry reduction Sauce. ( easy to do and makes the cook a five star)
1/4 pound frozen or fresh blackberries... I am thinking blueberries or even more intriguing fresh tart cherries.
Sautee minced shallots or green onions, minced garlic, and cilantro until shallots clear. I used the beef tallow with some cloudy precipitate instead of butter.
1/2 cup Port wine or Bourbon. I used Port wine to capture the robust grape flavor
2.0 teaspoons smoked paprika
3.0 tablespoons cider vinegar
1.0 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1.5 tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce
1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1.0 tablespoons freshly cracked black pepper
1.0 cups water
Blackstrap molasses to taste
1/2 cup Honey. This is a good start with the honey As the reduction process occurs I add more honey to taste. I notice the initial mixture was a bit acidic which subdued the blackberry taste. I continued to add Honey until the blackberry was brought out to the front of the palate.
Reduce the mixture to your desired consistency. A tabletop induction cooker set at 200 degrees is the bee's knees.

This one has the Rosemerry
venison 1.jpg
knees for this process

venison 2.jpg
blackberry sauce.jpg

sorry I do not have pictures of the sliced product. I was on a timeline getting the dish ready for my Son and Daughter in law's New Year gathering.

The total cook time was about 5.5 hours not including the rest time. Rare end product. About 25 pounds precook meat weight. Venison is lean so the 50% shrinkage experienced in pork butt or beef brisket was considerably less.

Last edited:
Here is a PDF of his recipe
indir.gif

Attachments

• Rear Quarter Venison.pdf
    843.4 KB · Views: 38
Back