Smoke Tube Recommendation

OldMayfield

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
My brother-in-law has inspired me to buy a smoke tube to complement my Pro780.

After an extensive search on the Traeger Forum I don’t think anyone has posted specific recommendations for smoke tube type, brand, accessories, etc. @RustyJake recommended an extension tube for >> 6 hours smoking, but that’s about it.

They look pretty generic on Amazon, but any recommendations? Do I need the scrub brush, hooks, basting brush? I presume I want stainless steel. Do I need two or is one enough?

Any tube that will get you up to 4 hours will suffice. I like the extended tube I got because it gives me the option of longer if I want. Most proteins don't absorb much smoke past the 4 hour mark, so there is the argument, why bother.
I will extend the tube on mine for briskets and smoked butts, more to increase the amount of bark. I will also use it if I am adding proteins during an existing cook.
There are a few here that use two tubes.
I don't think you could go wrong in getting any tube really.

This is what I got from Amazon:

Nothing special about it, just that it came as a set of 2. Often I just use one, but sometimes I run both, particularly for large cuts like briskets and butts. They last 2-3 hours which is about the limit of smoke absorption of your meat. It came with brushes and hooks but I don't use those.

They work very well in my opinion in imparting smoke flavor, much better than pellets do. So nowadays I use the tubes in all my cooks and rely on the wood chips in the tubes for smoke flavor. A wide variety of wood chips are available at Lowes, HD and other retailers.

My brother-in-law has inspired me to buy a smoke tube to complement my Pro780.

After an extensive search on the Traeger Forum I don’t think anyone has posted specific recommendations for smoke tube type, brand, accessories, etc. @RustyJake recommended an extension tube for >> 6 hours smoking, but that’s about it.

They look pretty generic on Amazon, but any recommendations? Do I need the scrub brush, hooks, basting brush? I presume I want stainless steel. Do I need two or is one enough?
If you want real smokey flavor like you get when cooking on actual wood chunks, put wood chips in the tube. You'll need to tamp down the chips by using a kabob skewer as a ram rod. You can use a few pellets to fill in gaps. If you use only pellets, it's just the same sawdust type of smoke on your food. I hope this is helpful. : ) I use an A-Maze-N long tube and it goes for 3-4 hours. The smoke on the meat is amazing.

Back