Smoke Daddy Searing Station

Blip

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Hi everyone, I'm a possible new Traeger owner

Living in a hi-rise, propane and charcoal aren’t allowed. I’ve been using a Weber electric for a few years but it just died, which is fine since it was marginal at best, especially because it lacked any searing capability. Having discovered electric pellet grills, I decided to go with the new Weber Smokefire, which supposedly had the best searing capability because of it’s heat (600 degrees) and there’s no plate between the firepot and grill. It was an unmitigated disaster, as the grill never performed as advertised and had many flaws. It has potential but Weber has a lot of work to do. It’s going back.

I’m now back to square one. I grill more than smoke. I really want that sear on steak. I’m considering the Ironwood 650. The grill grates sound ok but grill marks on meat aren't a char, just grill marks. My other thought was the reverse sear, finishing on a cast iron skillet on the grill at 500 to sear. Any thoughts? Alternatively, is anyone familiar with the Smoke Daddy Searing Station? https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-universal-sear-daddy-pellet-grill-searing-station/

This will fit the Traeger after removing the drip pan and baffle. It looks like a good concept, since it’s directly over the flame. I’m not sure if drippings getting thru the lava rocks will damage the grill.

Any thoughts?

seardaddy2.jpg

Last edited:
Back