Size of Pork Shoulder to Smoke

Haolemon

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I am wondering if anyone cuts up their pork shoulder roasts rather than smoking whole? I seems to me that a piece 1.5-2 pounds would be big enough to not dry out, but would present more surface area to absorb smoke. I recall many years ago ordering "outside cut" when buying BBQ.

Thoughts?

I've never tried it. Are you looking to cut it up just so you don't have to cook as much? Or cut it up and cook all of the individual pieces?

A boneless pork shoulder would be easy to test it on. They sell 2-packs at Costco.

I plan to cook it all. I just want to maximize the smoke flavor by cooking smaller pieces. I will indeed be using a boneless pork shoulder.

I'm not sure how much it would really increase the smoke flavor. Once the bark is formed, that part is pretty much done. But it would definitely give you a lot more "burnt ends" type pieces and it should cook a lot quicker. Let us know how it goes.

I like buying pork shoulders that are about 8 lbs bone-in. I made the mistake one time of purchasing a 16 lb boneless pork shoulder from Costco, never again! If you are cooking for a crowd of 20 or more, the large shoulder would work, but for most families, the 8 pounder is more suitable. If you do purchase a 16 pound shoulder, I highly recommend that you cut it in half to reduce cooking time and also to allow more surface area for absorption of smoke.

The reason I like smoking a bone-in shoulder vs boneless is that you know that the shoulder is properly cooked if you can slide the bone out of the roast after cooking.

I like buying pork shoulders that are about 8 lbs bone-in. I made the mistake one time of purchasing a 16 lb boneless pork shoulder from Costco, never again! If you are cooking for a crowd of 20 or more, the large shoulder would work, but for most families, the 8 pounder is more suitable. If you do purchase a 16 pound shoulder, I highly recommend that you cut it in half to reduce cooking time and also to allow more surface area for absorption of smoke.

The reason I like smoking a bone-in shoulder vs boneless is that you know that the shoulder is properly cooked if you can slide the bone out of the roast after cooking.

Was the 16lb shoulder from Costco all one piece? I've only seen 2 packs at my local Costco. Each shoulder is usually 6-8 pounds.

Was the 16lb shoulder from Costco all one piece? I've only seen 2 packs at my local Costco. Each shoulder is usually 6-8 pounds.
I was thinking it was one big piece, but I might have been mistaken.

Other than using a real smoker, on my 780 Pro I have a smoke tube and 2 modified smoke boxes (drilled holes all around it) I fill them with some pellets, hardwood chunks and wood chips. I also close down my exhaust stack to about 1/2” open to help hold smoke in longer and I cook the first 3 or so hours on about 200. I then bump it up to about 235 but a 9-20 lb butt takes about 14 hours. Never dry, decent smoke and moist. I cook to 200 then double wrap with foil and put in my Yeti wrapped in towels for a few hours. I usually do two at a time.

I want to try pork steaks - basically 1.2-2" slices from a pork shoulder - Plenty of YouTubes on this.

I'm not sure my kitchen knifes will make it through the bone. I need to ask a butcher.

-PH

I want to try pork steaks - basically 1.2-2" slices from a pork shoulder - Plenty of YouTubes on this.

I'm not sure my kitchen knifes will make it through the bone. I need to ask a butcher.

-PH
You might want to take a look at the cut if pork called country style ribs.

Back