Scout Fire in Pellet Hopper

kenb1060

Reaction score
Grill
Scout
Ok, so the Scout is the worst at temp control. Trager had me replace the controller, minor improvement but it worked good enough to cook hamburgers and steak just need to watch it. Just used it for the first time this year. Cooked the steak and put the unit into shut down. After we got done eating my wife asked me if i turned the grill off. I said yes and why. She said there is still smoke coming out of it. I went outside and sure enough, tons of smoke and the fans were all shut down. I opened the lid and all the smoke was coming from the hopper. I opened it up and heat came out of the hopper. Were there is smoke there is fire. Lucky for me the RV campsite had a fire pit. I unplugged the Scout, took it to the pit and turned it upside down and dumped the hopper. Red hot pellets came out and burst into flames. The hopper and auger are covered in black creosote. I pugged it back in to get the auger turning and ejected the burning pellets caught in the auger. I am scared to death to use this fire hazard again. How to I report this to the authorities of a fire hazardous machine that may cause human injury.

I had a PTG for a year or so from Costco and returned it when I read about the propensity for these portable Traegers to catch fire.

I've since moved on to a GMG Davey Crocket for my portable pellet grilling.

On another note, I've found that if I go from 450 to shut down on my Century 22, I can get smoke coming out of the hopper. Folks here say when shutting down from full blast, back it down to 250 first for a few minutes, then hit the shutdown mode. Since doing that, I have not had smoke come from my hopper anymore.

Thanks for the response. I am going to call Costco and see if they will take this back.

On another note, I've found that if I go from 450 to shut down on my Century 22, I can get smoke coming out of the hopper. Folks here say when shutting down from full blast, back it down to 250 first for a few minutes, then hit the shutdown mode. Since doing that, I have not had smoke come from my hopper anymore.
I was coming down from 300.

Thanks for the response. I am going to call Costco and see if they will take this back.

Print out the recall notice and take it with you. They should take it back no questions. Mine was over a year later when I returned it.

I had a PTG for a year or so from Costco and returned it when I read about the propensity for these portable Traegers to catch fire.

I've since moved on to a GMG Davey Crocket for my portable pellet grilling.
How is that GMG working for you?

Latest Discussions

Back