Rusty drip pans - Why?

GrillMeister

⚒️ Moderator
Staff member
Media
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885, Century 22, BGEx2, GMG Davey Crockett
All my drip pans in all my Traegers have rusted.

I wonder if it is because of using foil to line them which could be causing a galvanic reaction or if that simply speeds things along.

Thoughts?

I wonder if it is because of using foil to line them which could be causing a galvanic reaction or if that simply speeds things along.

Thoughts?
We all have the Timberline XL now so our pans aren't rusted! :giggle:

Thoughts?
If we cover them anyway, what diff does it make???
I've oiled mine twice and I think I'm gonna just do that when needed.
I guess I might get that 'SS' one that guy makes but not till I make $$$ again

If we cover them anyway, what diff does it make???
I've oiled mine twice and I think I'm gonna just do that when needed.
I guess I might get that 'SS' one that guy makes but not till I make $$$ again

I'm just wondering. I got the new SS and I don't want to screw it up with Aluminum foil on SS all the time. I now take the foil off after the cook when it cools off. I don't know if I'm being too cautious.

I now take the foil off after the cook when it cools off. I don't know if I'm being too cautious.
that sounds like a good idea actually...

that sounds like a good idea actually...

I must say, after I removed the dirty foil, my new 304 Stainless drip pan was so bright, I had to put on shades. :cool:

Thoughts?
Some types of stainless can rust. My guess with the Traeger is heat, ash and moisture. The ash absorbs moisture after cooldown that penetrates micro scratches in the surface. 304 SS is good but there are lots better types (and much more expensive). By the way my drip pan and heat shield are rusted. I'll just replace them when they get bad. I once had 430 stainless mufflers installed on my Mustang and within six months they were reddish brown.
I should have said earlier,I’m not throwing shade anywhere. For the amount of grilling I do my OEM stuff will last long enough.

Last edited:
Back