Problems getting meat up to temperature.

Jack P

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 810
I have had problems getting my pork ribs up to temp within the time the app recipe calls for. For example the recipe I used yesterday called for 2 hours at 225 with super smoke on my Silverton 810 and then 1 hour after turning the rack over. Instead of 1 hour it took 4 hours just to get it to 180 when the directions called for the optimum to be 202-207. I called Traeger and the tech told me my ribs were too thick to use the recipe-directions I used. I told my wife that next time I would grill it 4-5 hours early to make sure it is done in time for dinner. This is the second time this has occurred. I was hoping someone out there could give me some addtional advice.
I am new to Traeger having only used the grill 3 times since Thanksgiving.
Thanks,
Jack in So Cal

I have had problems getting my pork ribs up to temp within the time the app recipe calls for.
That's the first problem right there...
App recipes are not reliable and should only be used for guides.
You should already by now know exactly how to adjust your meat so that it gets cooked higher and longer, etc.
Also you need to learn your grill, your REAL pit temp can be 25° off from the reading on your controller.
You can only learn that and check that with a 3rd party ambient probe system.

Unfortunately @Slimpicker is correct. I had the same issue where it would take longer that what the recipe called. Turns out that the probe from both the grill and the meat probe is not as reliable. I now use a 3rd party and I also add more time for my cooks. I learned in these forums that it's ok to change the temp as needed instead of trying to get the perfect temp per recipe.

I had the problem when I first started and as noted, it's a guide only. Different size cuts and different pit temps will produce different results.

To the latter, you'll find that many of us here use a 3rd party external temp probe such as Fireboard 2, Ink Bird, etc. to monitor our real pit temps (Traeger probes are notoriously inaccurate).

You're probably cooking at a much lower pit temp than you think. If your grill is set to 275, you could be cooking at 250 or lower, which is going to result in longer than expected cook times, of course.

I'd consider getting a good instant read thermometer to validate the internal temp of the good (Thermoworks One is the gold standard) and a good way to measure your pit temp. There are lots of good threads on here about the previously mentioned Fireboard 2 and others.

Good luck and welcome!

I have had problems getting my pork ribs up to temp within the time the app recipe calls for. For example the recipe I used yesterday called for 2 hours at 225 with super smoke on my Silverton 810 and then 1 hour after turning the rack over. Instead of 1 hour it took 4 hours just to get it to 180 when the directions called for the optimum to be 202-207. I called Traeger and the tech told me my ribs were too thick to use the recipe-directions I used. I told my wife that next time I would grill it 4-5 hours early to make sure it is done in time for dinner. This is the second time this has occurred. I was hoping someone out there could give me some addtional advice.
Thanks,
Jack in So Cal

I had the problem when I first started and as noted, it's a guide only. Different size cuts and different pit temps will produce different results.

To the latter, you'll find that many of us here use a 3rd party external temp probe such as Fireboard 2, Ink Bird, etc. to monitor our real pit temps (Traeger probes are notoriously inaccurate).

You're probably cooking at a much lower pit temp than you think. If your grill is set to 275, you could be cooking at 250 or lower, which is going to result in longer than expected cook times, of course.

I'd consider getting a good instant read thermometer to validate the internal temp of the good (Thermoworks One is the gold standard) and a good way to measure your pit temp. There are lots of good threads on here about the previously mentioned Fireboard 2 and others.

Good luck and welcome!

Good luck and welcome!
Thank you! I believe you are correct about my pit temp as I just tested my pit with a different thermometer and it showed that my pit was 25 degrees lower than the traeger screen showed...it is starting to make sense. I will buy a better pit thermo and should be good to go.
Jack

Unfortunately @Slimpicker is correct. I had the same issue where it would take longer that what the recipe called. Turns out that the probe from both the grill and the meat probe is not as reliable. I now use a 3rd party and I also add more time for my cooks. I learned in these forums that it's ok to change the temp as needed instead of trying to get the perfect temp per recipe.
Thank you! Ordering a new thermo now...

That's the first problem right there...
App recipes are not reliable and should only be used for guides.
You should already by now know exactly how to adjust your meat so that it gets cooked higher and longer, etc.
Also you need to learn your grill, your REAL pit temp can be 25° off from the reading on your controller.
You can only learn that and check that with a 3rd party ambient probe system.
Duly noted. Thanks much, I am currently ordering a new internal thermometer as my pit just 25 degrees below what the traeger screen showed.
Jack

Thank you! I believe you are correct about my pit temp as I just tested my pit with a different thermometer and it showed that my pit was 25 degrees lower than the traeger screen showed...it is starting to make sense. I will buy a better pit thermo and should be good to go.
Jack
GOOD LUCK once you get a new pit therm... I'm sure you will find it much easier to cook and calculate your time and temp once you are reading it like it's supposed to be.

Just note, in the good ol' days of my many offset wood/coal smokers, most ribs were cooked at 250° for 99% of the cook and I never got a bad batch. It's hard to ruin ribs (unless obviously undercooked)

I've never looked at the app for recipes but I am surprised it showed a hour cook time for ribs at 225. Many people (myself included) use the 3-2-1 method as a guide. 6 hours total at that temp is about the norm...... The only complaint I have about my 780 is the fact I had to buy aftermarket probes.

I've never looked at the app for recipes but I am surprised it showed a hour cook time for ribs at 225. Many people (myself included) use the 3-2-1 method as a guide. 6 hours total at that temp is about the norm...... The only complaint I have about my 780 is the fact I had to buy aftermarket probes.
This. Only recipe you need for ribs is 3-2-1. Has never failed me. People tell me I've ruined them for eating out BBQ forever because they can't get ribs that good. Screw the app, 3 hours smoke, 1 hours in foil with a little liquid of your choice, then back on the grill out of the foil for up to an hour basting with sauce toward the end.

Thanks,
Jack in So Cal
Yes Sir, I had the same problem. I cleaned, I scarped, I check the fan, it works. So I decided to clear the hopper and stick a new bag of pellets in. BINGO. Everything did as it was suppose to do. heated up to 375 in less than an hour and I was happy. I keep mine covered "double covered" and I still think it is the moister. Here in good ol' south Florida humidity is always high. So weather it was chips in the hopper or in the bag I've been working out of. We are good for now!

Yes Sir, I had the same problem. I cleaned, I scarped, I check the fan, it works. So I decided to clear the hopper and stick a new bag of pellets in. BINGO. Everything did as it was suppose to do. heated up to 375 in less than an hour and I was happy. I keep mine covered "double covered" and I still think it is the moister. Here in good ol' south Florida humidity is always high. So weather it was chips in the hopper or in the bag I've been working out of. We are good for now!
In a humid climate especially best to keep an opened bag in a sealed container, a bucket with a tight lid is great.

Back