Pro575 controller upgrade

Kmstreaker

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
New to the forum and looking for information on whether or not it's possible to replace my Pro 575 controller with a "super smoke" controller from a different model. I have a smoke tube that works fine but would like to cook with 1 less thing to manage. Appreciate any feedback. Rob

Your Pro 575 should have a D2 controller. Thus, you should be able to replace it with the upgraded D2 controller for the Ironwood with Super Smoke. However, it is not an inexpensive upgrade as the controller costs $330. Furthermore, I rarely see anyone that is satisfied with the added smoke flavor using Super Smoke. Thus, you might spend cash on the replacement controller and still end up using smoke tubes.

You might want to do some searching of forum posts concerning Super Smoke before deciding what to do. I have an Ironwood 885 and have never used the Super Smoke feature.

If your intention is to make smoked jerky or salmon then the Super Smoke might help. In that situation, smoke tubes might elevate the temperature higher than you desire.

Your Pro 575 should have a D2 controller. Thus, you should be able to replace it with the upgraded D2 controller for the Ironwood with Super Smoke. However, it is not an inexpensive upgrade as the controller costs $330. Furthermore, I rarely see anyone that is satisfied with the added smoke flavor using Super Smoke. Thus, you might spend cash on the replacement controller and still end up using smoke tubes.

You might want to do some searching of forum posts concerning Super Smoke before deciding what to do. I have an Ironwood 885 and have never used the Super Smoke feature.

If your intention is to make smoked jerky or salmon then the Super Smoke might help. In that situation, smoke tubes might elevate the temperature higher than you desire.
Thanks so much for the info RayClem. I can buy a brand new super smoke controller for $100 US so price wouldn't be an issue. I want the option for some extra "clean smoke" at times and thought that might be an option. Sounds like you are saying or suggesting(?) a smoke tube might be a better option? I'm not opposed just want extra, clean smoke at times.

Thanks so much for the info RayClem. I can buy a brand new super smoke controller for $100 US so price wouldn't be an issue. I want the option for some extra "clean smoke" at times and thought that might be an option. Sounds like you are saying or suggesting(?) a smoke tube might be a better option? I'm not opposed just want extra, clean smoke at times.

The price I quoted was for a new OEM Traeger controller. You might be able to purchase a 3rd party controller for $100 that will fit your grill, but whether it will perform like a Traeger OEM controller is unknown. You also might be able to get a deal on a refurbished Traeger controller.

From what I have read, the Super Smoke setting just varies the temperature up and down slightly to generate more smoke than a constant temperature setting might. However, whether that is "clean smoke" I do not know. I never run my Ironwood below 225F to insure I never get dirty smoke.

The price I quoted was for a new OEM Traeger controller. You might be able to purchase a 3rd party controller for $100 that will fit your grill, but whether it will perform like a Traeger OEM controller is unknown. You also might be able to get a deal on a refurbished Traeger controller.

From what I have read, the Super Smoke setting just varies the temperature up and down slightly to generate more smoke than a constant temperature setting might. However, whether that is "clean smoke" I do not know. I never run my Ironwood below 225F to insure I never get dirty smoke.
Again, thanks for all of your info!

Back