Pro 22 too much smoke

davwhite

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Traeger 575
A 'friend' on a forum here in Australia thinks that a lot of smoke coming out of his 22 is normal. He claims it pours out of the stack as well as the grease opening.
I have always assumed that a light blue smoke is the ideal way to cook. He uses Traeger pellets and I have attached a photo of his outfit 'smoking' and apparently it does this right through a cook.
Your ideas would be helpful because I think he has a problem here.

Attachments

• Pro22.jpg
    Pro22.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 132
Most of the people on these pellet grill forums that complain about lack of smoke are used to eating food off a poorly managed offset fire. They have simply become accustomed to that bad smoke flavor. All you have to do is look at the smoke rings produced at regular 250 degree cooks to see there is plenty of smoke. It happens to be thin blue smoke you can barely even see. That’s how it’s supposed to be. White billowing smoke is not desirable but it will definitely give you a Smokey taste. So will cigarettes. To each their own I say.

Probably just differences in humidity and pellet composition. I wouldn't worry about it. Some of my cooks are smokier than others.

My Bronson puts out a ton more smoke than my 780, it “cycles” through the cook. It will be thick at time the go to a thin blue smoke you almost can’t see. I’d say it’s normal for a small grill with the pid controller.

Ok thanks guys, I was worried he had a problem because my 575 does not smoke heavily.

My Bronson puts out a ton more smoke than my 780, it “cycles” through the cook. It will be thick at time the go to a thin blue smoke you almost can’t see. I’d say it’s normal for a small grill with the pid controller.
The newer and better models work better and more efficiently. More advanced start up and shut down not to mention the regular cooking operation. Pretty much all around.

The newer and better models work better and more efficiently. More advanced start up and shut down not to mention the regular cooking operation. Pretty much all around.
I got my Pro 780 in June of 2020, and got the Bronson 20 for Xmas 2020. So I don’t actually know which one is newer.

I got my Pro 780 in June of 2020, and got the Bronson 20 for Xmas 2020. So I don’t actually know which one is newer.
The pro 780 technology is years newer than the Bronson I’d assume. Anything with a dial on the controller with graduated temperatures written on the bezel is older technology. Not 100% though. Either one is capable of great food, just a different path.

The pro 780 technology is years newer than the Bronson I’d assume. Anything with a dial on the controller with graduated temperatures written on the bezel is older technology. Not 100% though. Either one is capable of great food, just a different path.
Yep, and i think I got both paths figured out.😁

I have a 22 as well and do not think there is a problem with the amount of smoke. At 225 I get a little less than what you pictured but smoke is the reason I bought the.....smoker. Besides, driving the neighbors a bit crazy, as well as inspiring them to get their own smoker, isn't bad at all.

Back