Prime Rib Roast - on or off the bone?

OldMayfield

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
I’m smoking a prime rib roast for 9 on Christmas Day. I ordered the roast a couple days ago, and my butcher asked if I wanted her to remove the roast off the bone, tie it up, and lay it back on the ribs to cook. I didn’t know, but that’s what she recommended. It’s not too late, I don’t pick it up for a week.

What do you all think? Leave it on the ribs, or cut it off and tie it up?

It is a lot easier to carve if the bones are removed and tied back on. Probably more of a personal choice. You wind-up cutting them off at the end to carve the roast anyway.
The bearded butchers video @Murphy's Law mentioned that they just released on prime rib is a good one to watch

Last edited:
Yes. Take off the bone. I’ve never cooked one but have watched a few videos in preparation 😀😀

Yes, thats the best way, let the butcher do it.

Bones in make a good presentation, I have done them both ways. I've never really noticed a difference taste wise though.....

I have my Prime grade rib roast ordered for p/u on the 23rd! The butcher is taking off the bones as my crew is into the taste, though I agree the bones look nice :) In any case, getting 14 lbs and split into two (2) separate pieces so I can get four (4) ends. Unfortunately for my guests, there'll only be three (3) left when it's actually served!

Enjoy your roast whichever way you do it!

Last time I did prime rib I cut between bone and meat but not all the way so the bones were sort of on a hinge. That let me season all over. Then I tied the bones back on and smoked it. It was real easy to cut through after the roast was done.

Last edited:
I’ve done it every way possible and firmly believe taking the bones off and leaving them off are the way to go. Less pain in the a** and you get a more even cook. 225-250 grill temp and don’t sear it at all. Edge to edge consistent doneness. The lower the grill temp the less the carry over effect when removed. If you can dry the roast uncovered in a fridge for a few days. Will help with the browning.

Sorry in advance to hijack this thread.
Ive just watched the Butcher video. Interestin.
I’ve got what looks like a 4 bone in prime rib that my wife picked up a couple of days ago from Albertsons. It’s 11lb. She got it for $66. It was on sale from $110. It came already with the strings attached to it. So I’m assuming the bones have already been cut off or partially cut off and tied back together with the strings? It also has one of those pop up temperature probes in it.
So my plan was to smoke this 11lb prime rib on Christmas Day. But I am now working that day. My choice. Couldn’t pass up triple time for the holiday. Approximately how long would the prime rib take in the smoker at 225 temperature? I was thinking about putting it the T grill before heading off to work and letting it sit till I get back home? The wife will be home, but she has no clue on on what to do on the T grill. I would be gone from 430am till 3pm. I think the prime rib would be too well done by the time I get home. Or burnt? Otherwise I was going to smoke the prime rib the next day which is no big deal to have it the day after Christmas.

Use the Traeger phone app and when it reaches the temp you are after you can switch it to 'keep warm' until you get home.

Use the Traeger phone app and when it reaches the temp you are after you can switch it to 'keep warm' until you get home.
I don’t use the T temp probe. 3rd party.
My plans for this weekend has changed. I’m still working Christmas Day but now the next day Sunday swing shift. I think I can get up early enough to make this work before I leave out On Sunday morning.

I’m smoking a prime rib roast for 9 on Christmas Day. I ordered the roast a couple days ago, and my butcher asked if I wanted her to remove the roast off the bone, tie it up, and lay it back on the ribs to cook. I didn’t know, but that’s what she recommended. It’s not too late, I don’t pick it up for a week.

What do you all think? Leave it on the ribs, or cut it off and tie it up?
I just did a reverse sear with bones removed and cooked the bones along side wanted crust on the bottom

Attachments

• primerib ribs.jpg
    primerib ribs.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 32
Closing the loop, the roast ended up being almost 13 lbs. Took about 5 1/2 hours, 4+ at 225F and an hour or so at 450F. I used a rub provided by the butcher, and it came out GREAT!

Key point - the Traeger probe did not extend fully in to the middle of the roast. When the probe was at 130F, I checked with a handheld and at Rib 3 in the middle it was only 120F. I upped to 450F to reverse sear, but used the handheld to make sure the middle was 130F before I removed the roast.

Probably could have used a 4 rib roast even for 9. Oh well. Great leftovers.

30 minute sit-time per the "Bearded Butcher" was right on.

Happy New Year everyone!

IMG_8675.JPEG

Back