Power consumption on 575 is lower than i thought it'd be.

Olds442

Media
Reaction score
Grill
575 Bronze
i thought about this based on some comments that were made in another thread referencing losing power, during a cook.

so i thought i'd bring up something that i noticed during the break in period of the 575. with the house doing it's normal thing of around .2-.3 kW draw i fired up the 575. i watched the power bump up to a whopping .8kW. i was surprised it was so low, i expected a much harder draw.

right now i have the dish washer running and we're pulling 1.5kW, the washer/dryer barely pull that much with both running for example.

so anyway, i was surprised that the grill pulled so little power in comparison to other appliances we use every day and don't even think about power draw. my dyson heater fan thingy? it's draws twice as much power as the house furnace pulls, so we weren't saving any money running those things.

I doesn't surprise me. Unless I'm missing something, all it really has is the fan, controller and auger after the initial startup and the auger doesn't turn constantly I believe. The igniter rod most likely draws the most at initial startup.

Yep. That's why a cheap UPS will provide Uninterrupted Cooking during a power outage, especially when it's just a glitch that can reset the Traeger.

What 3rd world country do you guys live in where you have to worry about a power outage during a cook? Well, there's Austin of course, but outside of that...are you guys losing power that often?!

(note to self: when power goes out during next cook do not post here!)

Certain times of the year, with storms, power can get glitchy in Hill Country outside Austin. It's happened to me once and that's when I thought I'd repurpose a small UPS. Not only does it protect the Ironwood's digital control system from surges, it keeps the cooks going when it does happen.

During overnight cooks, a glitch can ruin things while you sleep.

What 3rd world country do you guys live in where you have to worry about a power outage during a cook? Well, there's Austin of course, but outside of that...are you guys losing power that often?!

(note to self: when power goes out during next cook do not post here!)
i'm near Chicago in Arlington Heights, and we get short outages during storms a couple times a year at minimum. they typically only last a few minutes but we've had them go as long as a half hour twice in the 3 years we've been here.

i had a home battery installed for back up power shortly after we moved in. worrying about food spoiling was a greater factor than say, getting kicked off my online COD match. but having a cook interrupted by a power outage would suck pretty bad as well.

August 10, 2020

Derecho
Started in westen iowa, stopped just before it got to Ohio. Was a big mess.
We ran on a Genny for 4 days.

i thought about this based on some comments that were made in another thread referencing losing power, during a cook.

so i thought i'd bring up something that i noticed during the break in period of the 575. with the house doing it's normal thing of around .2-.3 kW draw i fired up the 575. i watched the power bump up to a whopping .8kW. i was surprised it was so low, i expected a much harder draw.

right now i have the dish washer running and we're pulling 1.5kW, the washer/dryer barely pull that much with both running for example.

so anyway, i was surprised that the grill pulled so little power in comparison to other appliances we use every day and don't even think about power draw. my dyson heater fan thingy? it's draws twice as much power as the house furnace pulls, so we weren't saving any money running those things.
Attached a power meter to my Ranger to look at the draw during initial power on and once things got going. If you are interested in the details you'll find them here

Back