Poppin My Breaker

Hal1phx

Reaction score
Grill
Tailgater BBQ155
Hey … we’ve got a Tailgater with some miles … dang thing keeps popping the breaker … worked just fine till we had a good rain storm … it has always had a cover on it … can’t seem to find the issue … auger is free … fan and auger motor comes on for a minute the POP … looked for a possible wire issue with no results …
Any thoughts from you techie guys ???!
Thx mucho !’nn

Try an extension cord from another GFI (if you mean that kind of breaker) if you mean a MAIN house breaker, there is another reason.
Is it your outside outlet??? That should be GFI protected. If it's not, you need to replace it then... water damaged something.

Thx .. already tested extension cord … and check GFI .. somethin goin on in the cooker ….

Definitely like Slimpicker said. You need to see if it’s an issue with your Traeger or the outlet you’re plugging into. You definitely need to be using GFCI protected outlets outside.

Sorry I was writing reply as you replied.
I would start with the power cord to see if it’s gotten damaged and water is getting into the wires then to the power supply. I would think the rest is low voltage and probably has something to do with a short in the 110/120 v power. Hopefully something simple.

Unplug power cord. I would vacuum out the hopper and pull the cover to gain access to the controller and other components. Then you can manually turn the auger to make sure it isn't bound up. You can also spin the auger and draft fan blades to verify the motors rotate easily. I attached a schematic . I hope this might help.

iu

If it were me, I would unplug it and run some ohm meter tests on the cord, and against the plug pins against the frame for a short there.
Does it pop the breaker the instant you turn it on, or whenever you just plug it in? Isnt there a fuse in the system somewhere?
Last, lets assume it only pops the breaker when you turn it on. Then I would open it up, take a few pics of every wire plug, colors etc., unplug every plug, the induction fan, the auger fan, the heat element, and the temp probe. With everything unplugged, make double sure nothing is touching the metal fame, then plug it back into the 110 outlet, and turn it on. If nothing happens and breaker doesn't pop, shut it off, unplug and then plug ONLY one item back into the wiring harness. Keep doing this til it pops the breaker and you have then identified the shorted item.

Same on my Select Pro after some good rains - cover on. Ran through all the troubleshooting on Traeger's site. I'll take next steps offered here - thx

Ok, I pulled the hopper off and pulled the auger out to verify the GCFI was not popping due to a blockage. The cooker fuse never blew, just the GFCI. The plug is fine as I ran my shop vac from it today during cleanout. I ran through the online Traeger troubleshooting for "blew a fuse". It was easier to see everything with the hopper off and isolate each component. It appears the hot rod/igniter is bad based on that. I ordered a new one along with a new burner can. We shall find out later this week.

Ok, I pulled the hopper off and pulled the auger out to verify the GCFI was not popping due to a blockage. The cooker fuse never blew, just the GFCI. The plug is fine as I ran my shop vac from it today during cleanout. I ran through the online Traeger troubleshooting for "blew a fuse". It was easier to see everything with the hopper off and isolate each component. It appears the hot rod/igniter is bad based on that. I ordered a new one along with a new burner can. We shall find out later this week.
I just replaced my rod and firepot. It was easy but I wasn't having breaker issues.

Latest Discussions

Back