PiFire on DC grills.

Timberline850

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
I'm guessing some of you have heard about PiFire and have seen it do what WiFire does but for older traegers.

hwtpv5hk75z61.jpg

It's a wifi capable Raspberry Pi Zero based controller board + LCD replacement for pellet grills. Or you can run both stock and PiFire controllers with a selector switch to toggle between the two. This is like Fireboard except it controls your auger, fan, heat and temp sensors. The problem with newer grills however is that a lot of parts are DC and a stepper driver for the auger is needed. Plus a PCB board with the appropriate connectors hasn't been created yet. The PiFire community is small, but alive. I'm hoping that we could collect as much info here to possibly make an easier roadway to someday get our smokers added.

I'll post stuff needed even if it's just me doing it.

Stuff that is needed. The auger. What kind of (2-phase?) DC motor is it? Voltage, amperage, RPM, pinout, What size JST connector at auger end and controller board end.

D2 GRILL WIRING image 2.png

The same info for the fan, heating rod, thermocouple and meat probe mono jack. I'm sure most of you are still under the 3 year warranty and don't want to mess with your machines. I can collect most of this info tomorrow, just typing this out as a way of forced accountability and maybe there's an electrical engineer out there who's warranty is almost up who reads this and can help.

I'd rather not remove the housing on my auger. But perhaps there's some markings under it. Or even better, maybe someone out there has a broken one laying around or already knows what it is.

577.png

Attachments

• D2 GRILL WIRING image 2.png
    D2 GRILL WIRING image 2.png
    460.6 KB · Views: 88
Hey I would be really interested in helping with this, I have the Pro 780 D2 and have been wanting to convert it to pifire for some time now i have everything needed to make it happen just havent gotten around to it. I have loads of extra pifire control boards and screens feel free to pm or email me i would like to get a kit or something to be able to help others, I also have spoken with the creater of pifire quite a few times about other screen options

I’m pretty new to the community but I’d love to get involved in this. Just bought a Traeger Pro 22 and am pretty desperate to get it connected somehow.

I rub Pi’s at my house now for a variety of cool little side projects, have been interested in trying out the Zero. Happy to help out here.

Back