Older Jr?

Rhossack

Reaction score
Grill
Jr?
I have an older Jr, I think.

10+ or more years old. All of a sudden, temps are falling and not holding.

I tore it apart. The HotRod is original. So I decided to put a new one in and replace the Fire pot.

Cleaned the RTD probe and temps keep dropping. 292° right now.

Any clues?

What do you have it set at? Is the controller original? Any chance the pellets could be bad?

If the fan is good and the airways are clear, I agree, the pellets could be bad.

Also the auger must be free, no binding.

Once lit up, it's air, fuel quantity and quality that determine how hot it can get.

What do you have it set at? Is the controller original? Any chance the pellets could be bad?
Thanks for responding ...

I added a digital controller when they first became available. Auger is free and fan blowing.

Changed out pellets, no difference. Latest is temp is lower set on high.

Only thing not replaced is RTD. I ordered a replacement ... we'll see.

I’m bettin it’s the rtd.

Forgot to do an update ...

Put RTD in and the only thing the Jr does is smoke, no fire 🔥

I tear the hopper off, and I triple check to make sure both fans and auger is running.

I then traced every wire back to the controller, making sure no pinched wired ECT and tie wrap the bundle neatly together.

I then pull the Firepot out. It's kind of tight on the tube so I Dremel the hole larger to slip fit over the tube.

The HotRod is not tight. The new screw that came with the unit does not tighten up snug.

Tapped the hole, reinstall HotRod.

Put hooper back on, neighbor brought over some of his Traeger pellets in case mine are bad

We have contact, smoke and fire 🔥.

It got up to 400° in a test drive.

Since it's supposed to be 110°+ today, I'll cook chicken thighs tonight ...

Thanks for everyone's suggestions

Back