No Smoke Flavor

Mimi

Reaction score
Grill
Hello! I am still a beginner smoker. I own the Traeger 780. I have cooked several different meats. I do not taste any “smoke” flavor at all. Yes I cook low as slow for hours upon hours. I’m not getting it. Any suggestions?

Try using a smoke tube. You can find plenty on Amazon for under $20.

Also, what type of pelleted are you using?

Try a smoke tube, but use wood chips instead of pellets. You'll get the smokey flavor you are looking for. I use 2 smoke tubes , and pack them down with a steel rod so they will last 3 - 4 hours. You can add just a few pellets to fill in the gaps. Light the open end of the tube with a torch and let it burn 10 minutes, then put it in the smoker. I put one at each end with my downdraft model.

The lack of smoke flavor is due to the wood pellets being made of compressed sawdust. It's not the same as actual wood smoking. The wood chips are an excellent hack to achieve a similar smoke flavor to BBQ from a good smokehouse joint.

Hope this helps! Good Smokin' today!! Merry Christmas!

Hit the search bar upper right and type "smoke tube"

I got two smoke tubes this morning and looking forward to trying them out!!

Try using a smoke tube. You can find plenty on Amazon for under $20.

Also, what type of pelleted are you using?
I think someone tubes are little overwhelming. Besides, when you pay $$$$ for a “smoker” we shouldn’t need a tube.

Try a smoke tube, but use wood chips instead of pellets. You'll get the smokey flavor you are looking for. I use 2 smoke tubes , and pack them down with a steel rod so they will last 3 - 4 hours. You can add just a few pellets to fill in the gaps. Light the open end of the tube with a torch and let it burn 10 minutes, then put it in the smoker. I put one at each end with my downdraft model.

The lack of smoke flavor is due to the wood pellets being made of compressed sawdust. It's not the same as actual wood smoking. The wood chips are an excellent hack to achieve a similar smoke flavor to BBQ from a good smokehouse joint.

Hope this helps! Good Smokin' today!! Merry Christmas!
So how do you burn wood in a pellet smoker?

I think someone tubes are little overwhelming. Besides, when you pay $$$$ for a “smoker” we shouldn’t need a tube.
You don’t need one. The smoker works fine and does as intended. You just may find that a $20 smoke tube helps you achieve the flavor you’re looking for.

So how do you burn wood in a pellet smoker?
You have to use a smoke tube, filled with wood chips. It will produce the traditional type of smoke you may be used to from offset smokers or charcoal & wood chunks.

The Traeger is not a true smoker. It's kind of a pellet fueled convection grill. The great thing about it is it can hold the temperature for as long as you feed it pellets. The fuel does a great job and with very little mess to clean up compared to traditional smokers.

Everyone has different smoke preferences, so experiment until you find what you like. That's the fun part! Enjoy!

If you leave the unit at 165 to 180 it will smoke its little heart out.
I use camp chef or bear mountain.
Overwhelming smoke taste no but I like and si do my guests.
Do not care for Traeger pellets.
And I always use a good rub from
Kosmo Q

Technically you bought a pellet grill not a "smoker". Splitting hairs here, lol. What did you use before the Traeger? If you came from a stick burner you will not get the same smoke flavor you are accustomed to. My wife and kids don't like a heavy smoke flavor so the Traeger is perfect for us. I use Smokering brand pellets in mine and always get a good smoke ring and enough smoke flavor to enhance the taste but not overwhelming to where my wife complains.

Try experimenting with different brands go pellets and different types (Oak, Hickory, Mesquite or blends). Lumberjack and Cookin’ Pellets are excellent pellets and have several different types to try. That’s the fun part of learning using a pellet grill.

Back