New to pellet smokers

Curly Kroeger

Reaction score
Grill
Pro575
I'm new to the pellet smoker. Been using a BGE. My Traeger was properly seasoned, i think. I'm reading of wide temperature swings on what the grill is actually experiencing versus what the control panel indicates. Should i re-season using a higher temp to compensate for the likely 20-25 degree discrepancy?

Also when i did my first cook i did not see much smoke coming from the stack or when i opened the grill to check from that perspective. I did not open the grill much because i know and believe the adege of "if you're lookin you aint cooking". The smoke flavor just didnt seem to be there. I was smoking a pork tenderloin. Help the newbi please.

Old BGE owner here. I've shifted over to Traegers simply because of convenience. Pork Tenderloins are a very lean cut of meat and need to be cooked HOT & FAST.

Set your Traeger to 375/400 and cook it for about 30 minutes. Turn it over at 20 minutes and pull it from the grill at 140 degrees internal and let it rest till it comes up to 145 degrees before slicing and serving.

Traegers do a great job on pork tenderloins and pork loins.

Welcome to the Traeger world.

I'm new to the pellet smoker. Been using a BGE. My Traeger was properly seasoned, i think. I'm reading of wide temperature swings on what the grill is actually experiencing versus what the control panel indicates. Should i re-season using a higher temp to compensate for the likely 20-25 degree discrepancy?

Also when i did my first cook i did not see much smoke coming from the stack or when i opened the grill to check from that perspective. I did not open the grill much because i know and believe the adege of "if you're lookin you aint cooking". The smoke flavor just didnt seem to be there. I was smoking a pork tenderloin. Help the newbi please.
Welcome to the Forum!
It’s amazing how many people on here share a wealth of information.

I’l too am fairly new here as well as my first pellet grill. I’ve had a green egg for about thirty years and I’m not doing away with it. Unfortunately you will not get the same smoke flavor on a pellet grill as your egg. I’ve been experimenting on it weekly now and I’ve finally figured out how to get decent smoke flavor I can live with on ribs. Butts for pulled pork will continue on my egg. The Traeger is for the most part a “set and forget” type of grill however you will definitely need a third party temperature monitor, do not trust what the controller is showing. I have a pro 780 and I’ve been noticing after a few hours into a cook the display temps start settling down to close to what my third party shows. I use a smoke tube that extends (from Lowe’s) and an old smoke box that I modified. I use mostly hickory and oak chunks, mesquite chips and a handful of pellets to get them going. I use a B&B electric torch style lighter. I let it sit (out of Traeger) until the flames go out or mostly out them blow them out and put inside Traeger. It helps I’m experimenting with the smoke stack as well as I’m going to add a gasket on the lid. It’s a test/work in progress for me I guess but I’m just trying to figure out what I really need/can use this Traeger for. Other than my egg I have a Webber gas grill I really like and a Blackstone griddle I use a few times a week.

As for seasoning I honestly don’t believe it has anything to do with your temperature swings, it a Traeger, they do that. I too try not to open the lid unless I have to, it does take it a little bit to get back to temp especially when it cold outside. Unlike our eggs, they bounce right back to temp after opening the lid and the temperature outside doesn’t affect them whatsoever that I’ve encountered. I’m sorry so long on this reply, I’m sure others will share their thoughts an experience, great group of folks on here.

Hey Curl!
As Shedd stated the burn in or seasoning process has nothing to do with the uncontrolled temp swings your experiencing. The seasoning process is to remove, burn off any oils/ lubricants present in the Traeger smoker from the factory. If you fail to perform the “burn in” it’s possible for those contaminants to permeate your food, especially on an initial cook. Some individuals use a high smoke point oil such as grape seed or avocado oil to wipe down the inside of the grill especially the racks, drip pan, heat diffuser. My normal practice is to follow the owners manual for proper burn in/seasoning once this is accomplished and the grill internal components have cooled down. I wipe the racks, drip pan, heat diffuser down with flax seed oil then place the oiled pieces in the home oven. Make sure to do this on a day whereas you can open your windows and turn on auxiliary exhaust fans. I start out around 300 and gradually increase the temp in the stove to 450. This will help set the oil. You can always use your traeger instead of the home oven if you wish. I then come back down in smoker/oven temp at 50 degree increments so this takes around 2 hours or so. It may seem to be overkill but the initial owner of my Traeger Lil Tex performed the same procedure and this 10-13 yrs old smoker has the original rack, drip pan and heat diffuser in service. I highly recommend investing in a separate thermometer like an ink bird or my personal favorite the “Smoke” by ThermoWorks. I’d also consider experimenting with a longer cook such as a bone in pork butt. Pork Butt is extremely forgiving and great choice for an initial cook on a new grill. Best Of Luck! Don’t get discouraged or develop the habit of chasing temperatures. I’ve found you can produce some fantastic BBQ in the 175-275 temp range. Also don’t get caught up so much in time and temp. Go for obtaining the right color or bark your wanting for your meat. We eat with our eyes 1st. So if you haven’t achieved the color you want, does it matter how long the protein has been in the smoker? As for internal temps... again don’t get hung up on an exact internal temp. Palpate with your hands look for proper bend (ribs) or for the jiggle like jello appearance on (brisket). Use your temp probe to FEEL for doneness. Does the probe slide into your protein with zero resistance... like a hot blade through butter? Then it’s fine regardless of temp readings. Most of all have fun and enjoy the BBQ journey...

Welcome to smoking, it can be done. I'm new as of 30 days ago, got one smoker cheap/trade, and the other new and free from dealer that didn't want it due to offseason and buried in snow near his dumpster. So, some free pellets "damaged" and a couple weeks later I have had a bit of success with nearly daily chili pots, meats and cuts (Pork TL, Shoulder, ribs, and bacon even, along with beef steaks and roasts, along with making jerky)... So please do understand, I'm excited, and a noob toob.

You are correct, open and lose heat/cooking. Smoke usually plooms when the auger of a pellet stove, or new sticks are entered into the fire box. I wiped down the inside first, and then burn in for 10 hours (15 lbs of pellets) at 475-500 (high). Picture of the inside about 5 hours in to the burn-in/conditioning. I have not had wide temp swings, but then I nearly closed the stack on the new smoker, and had plenty of smoke when the auger kicked in each time temps dropped below set point.

I hope this helps and keep on keepin' on. Its fun, exciting, not overly expensive, and the flavor is unique and enjoyable.

Attachments

• DSC01009.JPG
    DSC01009.JPG
    351.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00985.JPG
    DSC00985.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00939.JPG
    DSC00939.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00917.JPG
    DSC00917.JPG