Pork My first attempt 3-2-1 pork ribs... a question

M.Wong

Media
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
Hello everyone!

New to Traeger... I have completed my first cook! I would like to know the easiest modification to get a more tender (but not overcooked ‘fall off the bone’) result? The flavor was good, the meat was moist, and overall I would call it successful, but I think a little less tough would be ideal. Recipe I used was from the Traeger website

7.0 lbs (two slabs) of pork “St Louis” spare ribs.
  • 3 hours on rack, 175 degrees
  • 2 hours in foil, 225 degrees
  • 1 hour with sauce on rack, 225 degrees
  • 15 minutes rest
IMG-1131.jpgIMG_8987.jpg

My next attempt will be about 3.3 lbs (one slab) of a back ribs cut. Suggestions I have read:
  • Change the first step to 225 degrees (and stay with 225 the entire time)
  • Add more apple juice (or whatever liquid) to the second step
  • Wrap the foil more tightly during the second step to get more of a steam
Am I on the right track?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Just curious where you got the ribs. Some places the quality is not always the same so no matter what you do they could be tough….

When you say "on the rack"....are you putting directly on the grill, or in a pan (like in the pic)? I also use butter and some brown sugar during the wrapped stage with a bit of juice and that moistens things up a bit.

I would like to know the easiest modification to get a more tender (but not overcooked ‘fall off the bone’) result? The flavor was good, the meat was moist, and overall I would call it successful, but I think a little less tough would be ideal.
the "foil wrap" step is where the tenderness comes. The LAST hour step is where you can turn tender into tough again.
Over the years I have turn the last hour step into a short "sauce sear" step only.

So, during the foil is where you get the tender you want, then just cook your sauce on for 15 minutes or so, don't cook the moisture back out of them during that last step.

Yes, that's a start.

I find my ribs are often done around the 5 hour mark. The last time I did ribs I cooked @ 225 for ~4 hrs, wrapped, and bumped to 275 to finish for another hour. I added some sauce to one rack with about 10 or 15 mins to go.

Time before that I cooked @ 180 for 3 hours and @ 275 for 2 hours. I think ribs are pretty forgiving, at least in the backyard BBQ setting.

Thank you for the replies!

The meat was from Costco.
On the grill, not on a pan. (The pan picture was the finished product.)
I used dark brown sugar and honey, but will try some butter next round.
I will also shorten that third step and report back!

Success!

225 degrees, butter and more apple juice than before, with the brown sugar and honey. Only 20 mins for final stage with sauce. Cuts with a fork but meat not overdone!

Did end up with some molasses-like ooze in the drip trough and bucket, which became hard as rock. (Fired up the Traeger briefly so I could scrape most of it out.)

Thank you everyone!

IMG-9006.jpg

Hello everyone!

New to Traeger... I have completed my first cook! I would like to know the easiest modification to get a more tender (but not overcooked ‘fall off the bone’) result? The flavor was good, the meat was moist, and overall I would call it successful, but I think a little less tough would be ideal. Recipe I used was from the Traeger website

• 15 minutes rest
View attachment 7778View attachment 7779

My next attempt will be about 3.3 lbs (one slab) of a back ribs cut. Suggestions I have read:
Am I on the right track?

Thank you!
Using a probe might help. I smoke ribs for 3 hours @ 225 degrees, then add thin layer of BBQ sauce and wrap them in foil. Pull them off when the meat is 203 degrees. They are tender and fall off the bone. Time can vary between slabs as some are thicker than others. Hope this is helpful. : )

Hello everyone!

• 15 minutes rest
View attachment 7778View attachment 7779

Am I on the right track?

Thank you!
I do 3 hours 225 spritz with ACV every 45 min
Then in foil make a bed of brown sugar butter and a hot honey, lay ribs meat side down and then pour in a little Mix of ACV and apple juice and cook for 2 hours or till it hits .200. Step 3 I place in cooler with towel for a hour to rest then dump juices out of foil sauce the bones and put bone side down on rack foe 15 min while the meat side dries off after that sauce the meat side and back in for 15 min to get a nice crust on the sauce. Everyone who’s ever tried them says they’re the best they’ve ever had.

Back