Mustard Before Dry Rub on Brisket?

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Media
Reaction score
Grill
2023 Ironwood-L
Anyone slather mustard on the brisket before applying a dry rub? Does it add flavor? Help the rub stick? Benefits?

YES!!! not a thing wrong with that IMO...

'hey grill hey' does it... I have seen others. Not thick, just to make a sticky coating I'd say

I'm going to try Heinz 57 sauce on one of the next ones I fix. Its great on pork ribs to, the fam loved it.

Does it add flavor?

No, the flavor cooks out, but the properties are still there and it helps make a good bark.

You want a good bark?? Pull it's tail

Anyone slather mustard on the brisket before applying a dry rub? Does it add flavor? Help the rub stick? Benefits?
I've done brisket with and without the mustard binder. No difference that I could tell. Some swear by it and others swear it's a waste. All I would say is: try it once and see if it makes a difference for you and how you do brisket.

That's how I've been doing mine for years. Works out great and great bark too.

YES!!! not a thing wrong with that IMO...

'hey grill hey' does it... I have seen others. Not thick, just to make a sticky coating I'd say
Susie also does briskets without the mustard. There is definitely nothing wrong with it. I just don't get anything out of it.

And we all don't use the same RUB on a brisket either, or anything for that matter. You ask me and I say it's a lot more important to have a RUB you like than the mustard.

BTW, This is from her Quick Brisket recipe: (apparently it helps physically)

1. Slather with yellow mustard. Liberally coat all sides of the brisket with yellow mustard. Keep in mind that the mustard flavor cook out. The acidity and moisture will greatly help with hot and fast application of this brisket. You can also use apple cider vinegar as well.

You mean us lucky muthas? 🤣

1615178028675.png

smiley-signs064.gif

Yep, been there several times. 🥃

For Brisket I just use SPG then let is set for about 30-45 Min then Flip and do the other side, then in the Fridge usually overnight and then let it warm up and put it on the Grill....

Back