Mesa 22 smoke occurrence

Sammy

Reaction score
Grill
Mesa 22
Hello I’m new to the wood pellet side of cooking I was wondering how often is a traeger suppose to smoke cause I cooked some pork ribs the first time at 275 degrees & the occurrence was frequent today I smoked some chicken at 275 & it didn’t smoke that much the hoper was full, I was wondering how often is smoke suppose to be blowing out of the smoke stack?

Last edited:
275 is too high. Cook for 3 hrs at 225. But make sure your grill is actually at 225! Treager temp controllers are known to not be the most accurate. Mine runs at 20 lower than the temp I set the controller.

The Traeger won’t belch out smoke continuously at the temps indicated…I have a mesa 22 as well…the smoke emanates as the burn pot gets filled by the auger…I haven’t used the smoke setting yet but that’s been my experience with mine and I’ve had it for a year. Nothing to worry about…

I always use a smoke tube with mine. You can either fill it with wood chips or pellets. To me it makes a big difference in the smoke flavor. Also, cook at 225 using the super smoke feature if you have it.

How long should I cook ribs ?
I’ve done the 3-2-1 recipe about 3 times and have followed the steps and times. I tweaked the temperature the last couple times the last 45 minutes of the cooks but I’m not sure that made a huge difference. Every time I’ve had positive comments.

I have gone off of the YouTube videos from Traeger on how to cook them & they came out tender, but I’ll take any advice for more juicer ribs

Back