Meat Probe Issue

Grill Monster

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I posted earlier about my meat probe being way off and I received many helpful replies which most stated I should just not use it. I get that, but I do like it and think it should work. I do use other probes during my cooks now. My problem now is that the probe is broken and showing negative numbers! I bought a new meat probe thinking that was the problem but had the same result when plugged into the unit. It sounds like a controller issue so I wanted to know if anyone knew how to "reboot" the controller for this probe issue? Mainly, I wanted to ask here first to see if there is a quick fix before I sit on the Traeger helpline for weeks before I get an answer (...FYI-Traeger helpline DOES help but it just takes awhile from my experience with them before!). Thanks for anyone's help!

I posted earlier about my meat probe being way off and I received many helpful replies which most stated I should just not use it. I get that, but I do like it and think it should work. I do use other probes during my cooks now. My problem now is that the probe is broken and showing negative numbers! I bought a new meat probe thinking that was the problem but had the same result when plugged into the unit. It sounds like a controller issue so I wanted to know if anyone knew how to "reboot" the controller for this probe issue? Mainly, I wanted to ask here first to see if there is a quick fix before I sit on the Traeger helpline for weeks before I get an answer (...FYI-Traeger helpline DOES help but it just takes awhile from my experience with them before!). Thanks for anyone's help!
You can unplug the grill and let it sit for a minute and then plug in and restart. In theory, you could also unscrew the controller enough to get access and disconnect the the cables, but I wouldn't think that's necessary. I was able to get a new controller via chat, including a streamed video for them to see the issue I had encountered (not your issue).

Did you try this?

PROBE CALIBRATION​

If you have a WiFIRE-enabled (D2) grill, one of the most common issues you may find with your meat probe is it not being calibrated. Calibration is easy; just follow these steps:
  1. First off, you will need to create an ice bath. We will use this ice bath to see what the probe reads when placed in a perfectly 32°F environment.
    1. Create an ice bath by completely filling a glass with ice.
    2. Fill the glass with just enough water that it reaches roughly 1/2 inch from the top. If you see that ice is floating off the bottom of the cup, gradually pour some water out until the ice rests at the bottom.
  2. Navigate to Menu > Settings> Probe Calibration.
  3. Select Calibrate Probe.
  4. Place the probe in the ice bath, gently stirring for 1 minute, to get an accurate reading as to what temperature the probe reads.
  5. The probe should read 32°F. If it does not, continue on to Probe Offset.

PROBE OFFSET​

Now that you have an accurate reading of how far off your meat probe may be reading, you can manually adjust the probe to give a more accurate temperature. For example, if your probe reads 41°F while sitting in an ice bath, you can offset the probe by 9°F so the probe more accurately reads the 32°F that it should.
  1. Navigate to Navigate to Menu > Settings> Probe Calibration.
  2. Select Probe Offset.
  3. Rotate the dial to adjust the probe temperature offset in 1° increments, from -15° to +15°F/-8° to +8°C. The default setting is 0, so if this is the first time you have adjusted the offset, you will be able to increase or decrease the offset by 15°F.
  4. Press the center of the dial to confirm and return to the settings menu.

If minus numbers are showing with all probes, get a new controller.

Back